1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Global warming

1. Oct 20, 2004 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just a question I am a little stuck on. I missed last week's chem lecture:

What effect would each of these changes have on global warming?

a) volcanic eruptions
    b) CFCs in the troposphere
    c) CFCs in the stratosphere

Here's what I think so far..

a) Volcanic eruption release large amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere contributing to the greenhouse effect and increasing global warming.

b) no effect?

c) I know that CFCs in the stratosphere deplete the O3 that protects us from UV radiation, but does this have any effect on global warming?

Thanks for your help. :smile:

-MIH

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2004 #2
    I am not sure about b and c but I know that a volcanic eruption would have the reverse effect of global warming because it emits sulfur which reacts with water vapor to form sulfur dioxide which then blocks the suns rays from reaching the earth and thus cools the planet. Dont think though that just because volcanoes have the reverse effect of global warming that global warming is not a problem. Volcanoes also release Co2 contributing to the grrenhouse effect the effect of the cooling is simply more significant.

4. Oct 21, 2004 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You were right. I just got the solutions key for my homework. I missed the boat on that one.

5. Oct 21, 2004 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

BTW - Hope you will stick around the forums. I'll probably need your help again. Thanks!

6. Oct 22, 2004 #5
    a) global temperature become lower
    b) the earth warms up due to CFCs is a greenhouse gas
    c) CFCs lead to ozone depletion and hence more ultraviolet rays come in so it is warmer CFCs is also a greenhouse gas

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?