1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Glossary of Terms from Zero

1. Sep 14, 2004 #1
    I don't know why I am putting this up since I am summarizing the chapters in the book, but I figured it might be useful or just interesting.

Glossary of Terms
    Chapters 0-1
    Calendar Round: Mayan calendar system with zero that had a different name for every day in a 52 year cycle.

Decade: 10 day long week in Egyptian calendar.

Devourer: Beast that would eat your heart as punishment for stealing someone’s land in Egyptian myth.

Placeholder digit: Digit used like zero only to distinguish what value a particular symbol would have by designating its location.

Sexagesimal: Numbering system with base 60 used by Babylonian people. Borrowed by the Greeks who preferred more Egyptian style mathematics for advance mathematics then converted back to their numbering system.

SS Yorktown Huge ship with 80,000 horsepower that was brought dead in the water when its on board computers tried to divide by 0.

The Greek Universe: There is no such things as nothing, there is no universe. Created by Pythagoras, Aristotle, and Ptolemy.

Vigesimal: Base 20 system used by Mayans

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted