Glow in the dark E.Coli

1. Would the methods used to create glow in the dark e.coli readily work on other bacteria?

2. jcsd
  3. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 15,261
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Ok I guess I'll be more specific.What I mean is will the high school lab experiment method of freezing them and then heat shocking them readily work on other bacteria. Sorry for the unspecific first question I was tired and worded it vaguely.

5. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 15,261
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. I've done it myself in high school.

7. Yep same procedure will it readily transfer to other bacteria?

8. Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

GFP (and its derivatives of different colours) has been successfully expressed by multiple species of bacteria. It's even been used in fish and mammals.

9. Do you know where the derivative Dolores can be purchased? I want to take pond scum from a local lake and make a glowing variety for a freshwater biome

10. In a fish tank

11. Ryan_m_b

Please provide a link to "Dolores" so we can know exactly what it is you are asking. Note that GFP shines in UV light so you'll have to have a UV lamp to see anything.

12. Uggg stupid autocorrect. Sorry for the hassle I meant colors.

13. Ryan_m_b

14. Ygggdrasil

Ygggdrasil 1,693
    Science Advisor

Note that most of the organisms commonly referred to as pond scum are not bacteria, but algae, a diverse group of unicellular eukaryotic organisms. While it is certainly possible to introduce fluorescent transgenes into these organisms, the procedures may be different from those used to modify bacteria. However, because there has been considerable research into modifying algae for biofuel applications, there may be some published, standard procedures for introducing transgenes into algae.

15. Cool thanks, are you by any chance on the bungie forums?

16. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 15,261
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

From your reference:
    In this lab, Green Fluorescent Protein (GFP) from the bioluminescent jellyfish Aequorea victoria has been incorporated into a plasmid along with a gene for resistance to the antibiotic ampicillin...​
    ... which is the procedure referred to in the New Scientist article in post #2 isn't it?

Short answer "yes".

17. Ygggdrasil

Ygggdrasil 1,693
    Science Advisor

Nope, sorry.

18. Kk,.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted