Is the glowing object always visible between 11pm and 12am?

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
In summary, someone saw a glowing object in the sky that was brighter than any stars that might be apparent on a non cloudy day, and it changed direction a bit, but was moving very slowly.
B. Elliott said:
By chance where did you get the info on the luminosity? Was Jupiter exceptionally close at that time?
I got all of that from Starry Night. And no, Jupiter's brightness doesn't change all that much from month to month. It is more about location - it is only in a good place to see in the evening a few months a year.

Physics news on Phys.org
That glowing object in the OP is almost certainly not a planet as it dosen't appear in the same location every night. Is that a good enough reason?

Good enough reason for what? Your description is vague enough that I can't give anything as specific as I was able to find for B. Elliot. Dates, times, locations, directions, etc. And the fixed camera was also a big help. When I look at the sky during the day, I often get the sensation that the entire sky is moving away from me. I know our eyes are not to be trusted. Your description was based almost entirely on your eyes, and I recognize a lot of what you said as common misperceptions, not real, hard facts. So what you have said is not exactly what a planet should look like, but it is also not inconsistent with common descriptions of planets. Regarldess, it isn't enough to positively identify or rule out that you were looking at a planet.

I asked you some questions before that you didn't answer. Could you be more specific about the following:

What direction were you looking (I mean north, south, east, west)?
How high in the sky was it?
What time was it?
What was the date?
What was your geographic location?

B. Elliot's description contained all of those critical elements - yours contained none.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Good enough reason for what? Your description is vague enough that I can't give anything as specific as I was able to find for B. Elliot. Dates, times, locations, directions, etc. And the fixed camera was also a big help. When I look at the sky during the day, I often get the sensation that the entire sky is moving away from me. I know our eyes are not to be trusted. Your description was based almost entirely on your eyes, and I recognize a lot of what you said as common misperceptions, not real, hard facts. So what you have said is not exactly what a planet should look like, but it is also not inconsistent with common descriptions of planets. Regarldess, it isn't enough to positively identify or rule out that you were looking at a planet.

I asked you some questions before that you didn't answer. Could you be more specific about the following:

What direction were you looking (I mean north, south, east, west)?
How high in the sky was it?
What time was it?
What was the date?
What was your geographic location?

B. Elliot's description contained all of those critical elements - yours contained none.

That's because I don't know any of the answers to those questions. The time was roughly between 11pm and 12pm. On one particular day, it was clearly there between that hour when looking outside my window. So if it was a planet then on all days, it should be there between that time?