Fixing Plastic with Glue: Tips and Tricks for Fast and Effective Repair

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plastic
In summary: You can use two part epoxy to fix things, but you need to mix it well for a full minute for it to cure properly.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Does anyone know a good product that will glue plastics back together? The plastic is... well... pretty much the kind you'll find on, oh, let's just say, my mothers computer case. It also needs to set somewhat fast because i'd have to hold things in place :mad:

And while we're at it, does anyone know how to dissolve epoxy or somehow remove it? I need to get rid of my first futile attempt to glue the dang thing back together...

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, epox is not comming off. Cyanoacrylate would work, but its not great. You were right to use epoxy the first time, but you should have taken your time. Use 5min epoxy.

Epoxy really should be able to do it. What kind were you using?

I was using some hobby 5 minute epoxy. I need to correct myself on the first post, one of the chairs we have is broken because the plastic base started tearing and i tried to... "paint" the epoxy on and I am pretty sure that didn't work. I also half-assed it so that probably contributed to the suckyness of the bond. The problem is that the chair, i need to actually put a lot of force to keep the plastic tears together ... and for 5 minutes... and hope it cures quickly enough after that 5 minutes so that i can release it and it will still hold.

Such a tiring day!

Figure something out to hold it in place instead of having you hold it. Or, go search for illegals walking around town and offer then ten bucks to sit there for an hour holding it together.

$10? That's probably twice as much as they normally get for hauling around roofing supplies.

I say just fess up and take the heat. She's going to find out when she gets home anyway.

DaveC426913 said:
I say just fess up and take the heat. She's going to find out when she gets home anyway.

I didn't break something like some kid breaking their parents base while playen baseball inside. I was installing a new switch for her on her computer and this stupid hook piece broke off and I need it back on in order to close the case correctly.

;-)

If the hook is under any tension when in normal use don't even bother trying to glue it. No glue will hold versus direct tension placed on it.

Got a camera? Take a pic of what you need to accomplish. You may need to jerry-rig it.

No its one of those... hmmm, you know when you have a square hole and there's a piece that goes into it with a triangular edge that snaps in place...

Well that doesn't help.

It's an easy fix its just I had to stand there and hold it in place while the epoxy dries which is annoying as hell.

In the hobby world, one can usually use a little drop of cyano-acrylate to hold something in place while the epoxy cures.

For many plastics, particularly ABS (acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene) one could use Tenex, assuming one can find it. It is a halo-alkane, e.g. methyl chloride or ethylene chloride. There is also Testors liquid. Most hobby shops that sell plastic models should have it.

Well I am sticking with the straight epoxy. I am not running down to this damn 500% markup hobby store across town.

Pengwuino said:
Well I am sticking with the straight epoxy. I am not running down to this damn 500% markup hobby store across town.
What!? You don't want to support free-market captialism, the bedrock of the US economy!? I'm shocked - I'm mortified!

Astronuc said:
What!? You don't want to support free-market captialism, the bedrock of the US economy!? I'm shocked - I'm mortified!

Supporting the free-market would result in me going 1 mile down the street to home depot where its like, 50% less.

I'm just too lazy to actually go anywhere to be honest. Especially if its just for one stupid thing.

Pengwuino said:
You can get it at many convenience stores that suffer from "product creep". i.e they have plastic model kits, and it costs about a dollar.

Oh damn it to hell. I guess when they say "full cure in 1 hour", they mean 1 hour. I tried to use it after 45 minutes and the thing is starting to come off

As a staunch Red Green fan, I know the proper approach to this... but you probably won't do it.

with 2 part epoxy, make sure you take the time to mix the two parts extremely well, for about a full minute or it will never cure right. I learned this lesson in an irritating way when setting some bolts in concrete to support a deck I was building last summer.

If the hook is under any tension when in normal use don't even bother trying to glue it. No glue will hold versus direct tension placed on it.

Another glue anecdote: When I broke the leg on my oakley sunglasses which was a hard type plastic that is under quite a bend when on my big noggin, I used superglue, not epoxy. That bonded extremely well and never broke (at that spot) again.

there was a show on glue the other day on discovery channel. my dad made me watch it...

from what i recall from the show the best thing you can probably do is... oh wait, i fell asleep, never mind.

I don't know what kind of plastic you need to glue, but I've had plenty of luck with Humbrol Polystyrene cement in the past. It doesn't work on all plastics though.

Danger said:
As a staunch Red Green fan, I know the proper approach to this... but you probably won't do it.

grrr...you stole my thoughts!

That's what you get for just leaving them lying around like that.

Damn it, this stupid epoxy started setting too quickly, i felt the burning of the cup when i was still painting the crap on lol. I'm also fairly sure a good connection wasnt made since hte plastic ripped even farther and somehow became very hard to re-align.

Then I got pissed and grabbed some duct tape and just taped the s*** out of the thing. Hopefully the tape will uhm... "align" the damn pieces together...

danger had it right!

And in the end, i think the only thing holding this chair together is the duct tape...

Three cheers for duct tape!

1. How do I choose the right glue for plastic?

There are several types of glue that work well for plastic, including cyanoacrylate (super glue), epoxy, and polyurethane. It's important to choose a glue that is specifically designed for plastic and follow the instructions on the label to ensure a strong bond.

2. Can I use regular super glue on plastic?

Yes, regular super glue (also known as cyanoacrylate) can be used on plastic. However, it may not be as strong as other types of glue specifically made for plastic. It's important to clean the surfaces thoroughly before applying the glue and to follow the instructions for best results.

3. How long does it take for plastic glue to dry?

The drying time for plastic glue can vary depending on the type of glue used and the temperature and humidity of the environment. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours for the glue to fully dry and create a strong bond.

4. Can I use heat to speed up the drying process?

Using heat can help to speed up the drying process of plastic glue, but it's important to be cautious and not use too much heat. Using a hairdryer on a low setting can be effective, but be careful not to overheat the plastic as it can melt or warp.

5. How do I remove excess glue from plastic?

If you accidentally get excess glue on the plastic, you can use acetone or nail polish remover to dissolve it. However, be careful not to use too much as it can also damage the plastic. You can also use a razor blade or sandpaper to carefully scrape off any dried glue.