Can Changing Gluon Spin to 1/2 Make the Color Force Repulsive?

In summary: The colour field is carried in the boson as vectors like electric and magnetic field vectors. If they were to become observable, then they would be like photons, but with a charge.
kurious
Under what circumstances could the colour force ( or the strong residual force) become repulsive between quarks? I've heard that changing the spin of a force carrier can in principle make a force repulsive when it was previously attractive.If gluons exchanged between quarks became fermions with spin 1/2 would this cause a repulsive force between quarks?

Physics news on Phys.org
The color force can be repulsive as it stands. Let's say you have two quarks that do not form a color singlet (eg, suppose they are both red quarks). Then the force between them is repulsive, and they cannot form a meson.
I am not aware of any theories involving spin-1/2 mediators or how they would look like. Even integer spin (0,2,etc) carriers always convey an attractive force, and odd integer spin carriers can convey either attractive or repulsive forces; it depends on the circumstances.

Gluons are a quark-antiquark condensate and thus always have integer spin. They are bosons.

The strong force becomes repulsive when two identical quarks interact. By identical one means : the same quantumnumbers, just as zefram_c pointed out.

regards
marlon

Marlon, it is not the first time I read in your posts :
marlon said:
Gluons are a quark-antiquark condensate
Why do you seem to refuse gluons as particles by themselves :confused:
The gluon is analogous to the photon field when it comes to question "who ordered that". The gluon is the gauge field.

Now, of course, the double-lines formalism which allow one to keep track of the color indices tend to suggest the gluon are quark-antiquark pairs. Do you take that seriously :confused:

humanino said:
Marlon, it is not the first time I read in your posts :

Why do you seem to refuse gluons as particles by themselves :confused:
The gluon is analogous to the photon field when it comes to question "who ordered that". The gluon is the gauge field.

Now, of course, the double-lines formalism which allow one to keep track of the color indices tend to suggest the gluon are quark-antiquark pairs. Do you take that seriously :confused:

Your first point is completely correct. Maybe my explanation with this quark-antiquarkpair thing is a bit confusing sinve the gluons do not have restmass.

It is because of the way they interact that I state this. i do take that seriously...

regards
marlon

Gluons are spin 1 particles, that is why I make this poor analogy.

i won't do this again, since it is indeed confusing...

thanks for the correction humanino

I was not really trying to correct you. I mean, if someone wants to question the reallity of those particles, I could not argue easily with him. There is no doubt that the electron is real. But quarks and gluons are never free. So, your opinion on what they really are can only be judged with respect to the computation efficiency of your concepts. The double line formalism is indeed very efficient !

kurious said:
If gluons exchanged between quarks became fermions with spin 1/2 would this cause a repulsive force between quarks?
If a quark were to emit a spin-1/2 fermion, by conservation of spin it would change into someother type of particle(a boson with either spin 0 or spin 1). The color charge would also have to go somewhere. If the spin-1/2 particle has color charge, it is probably just a quark. The most well known example of this is pair annihilation; a quark emits a virtual quark and in the process becomes either a photon or a gluon, then the virtual quark is absorbed by an antiquark, which also becomes a photon or a gluon. If the spin-1/2 particle didn't have color charge, the boson that the quark becomes does(AFAIK no bosons with color charge have been experimentally observed).

Any force caused by the interchange of spin-1/2 particles must be an inverse cube force(this can be shown from the fact that the Fourier transform of the propagator has units of length, so after integrating over all 4 momentum components you get units of length-4*length = length-3).

jtolliver:
If the spin-1/2 particle didn't have color charge, the boson that the quark becomes does(AFAIK no bosons with color charge have been experimentally observed).

Kurious:
What if the colour field is carried in the boson as vectors like electric and magnetic field vectors? Would those vectors be observable in some way?

1. What are gluons and quarks?

Gluons and quarks are subatomic particles that make up protons and neutrons, which in turn make up the nucleus of an atom. They are considered fundamental particles, meaning they cannot be broken down into smaller components. Gluons are responsible for carrying the strong nuclear force that holds quarks together, while quarks come in six different types and have properties such as mass and electric charge.

2. What is the relationship between gluons and quarks?

Gluons and quarks have a symbiotic relationship in which gluons carry the strong nuclear force between quarks, binding them together to form larger particles such as protons and neutrons. Without gluons, quarks would not be able to interact and form larger particles.

3. What is spin in relation to gluons and quarks?

Spin is a fundamental property of particles that describes their intrinsic angular momentum. Both gluons and quarks have a spin of 1/2, meaning they can exist in two different states. This property is important in understanding the behavior and interactions of these particles.

4. Can gluons and quarks be observed directly?

No, gluons and quarks cannot be observed directly as they are confined within protons and neutrons. However, through experiments and particle accelerators, scientists have been able to indirectly study their properties and interactions.

5. How do gluons and quarks contribute to the structure of matter?

Gluons and quarks are essential building blocks of matter, as they make up protons and neutrons which in turn make up the nucleus of atoms. They also play a crucial role in the strong nuclear force that binds atoms together, allowing for the formation of larger structures such as molecules and objects we encounter in our daily lives.