Deciphering a GMAT Math Question: Solving f(x)=f(1-x) for All x

• Thread starter Xori
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a GMAT practice test question that asks for a function where f(x) is equal to f(1-x) for all x. The conversation explains that to solve this, you need to substitute 1-x for x in the equation and see which function still equals 1-x. The conversation also discusses different strategies for solving the problem and confirms that the correct answer is D.
Xori
OK, so I'm taking this GMAT practice test online, and I got stuck on this question. The software tells me the correct answer, but not the explanation. What I'm really stuck on is the wording of the question - it's been 10 years since my last calculus class, and even though it's an algebra question the whole "f(x)" thing screws me up. Can someone please interpret this for me and tell me what the hell the question is asking?

------------------------------------------------
For which of the following functions f is f(x) = f(1-x) for all x?
A) f(x) = 1 - x
B) f(x) = 1 - x2
C) f(x) = x2 - (1 - x)2
D) f(x) = x2(1 - x)2
E) f(x) = x/(1 - x)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
f(x) is just the function f evaluated at x. This question wants to know which of the listed functions is such that f(x) gives the same output as f(x - 1).

Well if f(x)=1-x for example, then f(2x)=1-2x, f(ax+b)=1-(ax+b) etc. so all you have to do is find which function f(x) is equivalent to f(1-x) by substituing 1-x for x everywhere in the equation and then simplifying.

Mentallic said:
Well if f(x)=1-x for example, then f(2x)=1-2x, f(ax+b)=1-(ax+b) etc. so all you have to do is find which function f(x) is equivalent to f(1-x) by substituing 1-x for x everywhere in the equation and then simplifying.

So I should substitute (1-x) for (x) in every of the 5 choices and see which still equals (1-x)?

It still sounds like you're misunderstanding. Think of x has a place holder. f(x) just means put an x where x is (so you're really not doing anything). For example, for A), f(x) = 1-x. f(1-x) means to put a 1-x where x is. So just plug in 1-x everytime you see x in the equation. f(5) means to put a 5 where x is. etc..

So looking at part A) and setting up f(x) = f(1-x), we have:

1-x = ...?

gb7nash said:
It still sounds like you're misunderstanding. Think of x has a place holder. f(x) just means put an x where x is (so you're really not doing anything). For example, for A), f(x) = 1-x. f(1-x) means to put a 1-x where x is. So just plug in 1-x everytime you see x in the equation. f(5) means to put a 5 where x is. etc..

So looking at part A) and setting up f(x) = f(1-x), we have:

1-x = ...?

Ah, I think I get it.

So to evaluate choice (A), I would do the following(?):
f(x) = 1 - x <-- set up provided by (A)
f(1 - x) = 1 - (1 - x) <--- plugging in (1-x) for x
f(1 - x) = x <--- restating

So now I have the two following statements:
f(x) = 1 - x
f(1 - x) = x

If I set the the two equal to each other, I would have:
1 - x = x
...which is obviously not true for all x, so A is incorrect. So then I repeat for B - D.

Am I doing it right?

Xori said:
Ah, I think I get it.

So to evaluate choice (A), I would do the following(?):
f(x) = 1 - x <-- set up provided by (A)
f(1 - x) = 1 - (1 - x) <--- plugging in (1-x) for x
f(1 - x) = x <--- restating

So now I have the two following statements:
f(x) = 1 - x
f(1 - x) = x

If I set the the two equal to each other, I would have:
1 - x = x
...which is obviously not true for all x, so A is incorrect. So then I repeat for B - D.

Am I doing it right?

Exactly! Sounds like you're getting the idea. Now do the same thing for the rest of them.

gb7nash said:
Exactly! Sounds like you're getting the idea. Now do the same thing for the rest of them.

Ok, just did it for all of em and got the right answer (D)!

Although I see that picking small numbers and plugging would be a better strategy on test day, but wanted to understand the notation first :P

Thanks so much for your help!

Xori said:
Although I see that picking small numbers and plugging would be a better strategy on test day, but wanted to understand the notation first :P

The best strategy for this particular problem is to see that if you replace x by 1-x, then you also replace 1-x by 1-(1-x), which is the same as replacing 1-x by x

So the right answer will be unchanged if you swap 1-x and x in the definition of f(x), and the only one where that is true is D.

But that's the difference between getting a good score by following a standard method (which is what you learned to do in this thread), and scoring 100% with time to spare - so don't lose any sleep over it!

1. What is the format of a GMAT math question?

The format of a GMAT math question is multiple choice. You will be given five answer choices, and you must select the correct one. Some questions may also require you to solve a problem and enter your answer as a numerical value.

2. What topics are covered in GMAT math questions?

GMAT math questions cover a wide range of topics, including arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and data analysis. Within these topics, you may encounter questions related to fractions, percentages, equations, inequalities, shapes, and statistics.

3. How much time do I have to complete the GMAT math section?

You have a total of 62 minutes to complete the GMAT math section, which consists of 31 questions. This averages out to approximately two minutes per question. It is important to manage your time effectively and not spend too much time on any one question.

4. Can I use a calculator on the GMAT math section?

No, the use of calculators is not allowed on the GMAT math section. This is to test your ability to solve problems and perform calculations without the aid of a calculator. However, you will be provided with a basic on-screen calculator for a few questions that require complex calculations.

5. How can I prepare for GMAT math questions?

To prepare for GMAT math questions, it is important to review all relevant math topics and practice solving problems under timed conditions. You can also utilize study materials and resources, such as review books, online courses, and practice tests, to improve your skills and familiarize yourself with the question format.