Gnuplot: Plotting 3D Points with splot Command

In summary, the user is having trouble with the splot command in gnuplot and is looking to plot data with specific columns as x, y, and z. They have tried various tutorials and are considering using "maxima" as a front end to gnuplot.
physguy2
Hello all,

I am having an issue with the splot command in gnuplot.

The format of the data I am trying to plot is shown below:
Code:
3.09411   71.75663   -2.17624
3.09238   67.64099   -1.94456
3.10106   73.70542   -2.85122
3.09494   75.71568   -3.49932
3.09846   75.29150   -1.14593

My current attempts have led me to numerous websites on gnuplot tutorials, but none have done the job.

I am looking to plot these points with the second column as x, the third as y, and the first column as z.

This is what I have so far (which gives me an empty plot):
Code:
set zrange [3.08:3.11]        
set yrange [-8:8]      
set xrange [65:90]  
splot "xphase.txt" using 2:3:1

Thank you in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How do I plot 3D points with the splot command in Gnuplot?

To plot 3D points with the splot command in Gnuplot, you will need to first open the Gnuplot console and enter the command "splot" followed by the coordinates of the points you want to plot. For example, the command "splot 1 2 3" would plot a single point at (1,2,3).

2. Can I plot multiple points at once with the splot command in Gnuplot?

Yes, you can plot multiple points at once with the splot command in Gnuplot by entering the coordinates of each point separated by a comma. For example, the command "splot 1 2 3, 4 5 6, 7 8 9" would plot three points at (1,2,3), (4,5,6), and (7,8,9).

3. How can I customize the appearance of my 3D plot in Gnuplot?

To customize the appearance of your 3D plot in Gnuplot, you can use various commands such as "set title" to add a title, "set xlabel" to label the x-axis, and "set ylabel" to label the y-axis. You can also change the color and style of the points using the "with" command, and adjust the viewing angle with the "set view" command.

4. Is it possible to save my 3D plot from Gnuplot as an image file?

Yes, you can save your 3D plot from Gnuplot as an image file by using the "set terminal" command to specify the desired image format, and then using the "set output" command to specify the name of the output file. For example, the commands "set terminal png" and "set output 'myplot.png'" would save the plot as a PNG image file named "myplot.png".

5. Can I plot 3D points with different symbols or colors in Gnuplot?

Yes, you can plot 3D points with different symbols or colors in Gnuplot by using the "with" command followed by a specific symbol or color. For example, "splot 1 2 3 with points pt 7" would plot a point at (1,2,3) with the symbol specified by "pt 7". You can also use the "linecolor" command to specify a specific color for the points.