1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gnuplot in Polar Coordinates

1. Sep 11, 2013 #1
    I am brand new to Gnuplot and am having a problem trying to figure out how to graph in Polar Coordinates for a school assignment. What bothers me is we didn't go over other coordinate systems like Polar or Parametric at all for Gnuplot, and the internet tutorials I find seem to assume some basic knowledge and just tell me to do "set polar".

1. The problem I am trying to solve:

The electron density around a particular molecule centered at the origin is described by

n(r,theta) = [cos(r)]^2 * {1+[cos(theta)]^2} * exp(-r^2/25)

where r and theta are usual polar coordinates [e.g., (x,y) = (r*cos(theta),r*sin(theta))].

Write a gnuplot script elec.gpl that generates a surface plot of this function on a domain of x=-5..5 and y=-5..5. Set your script so that

gnuplot> elec.gpl

generates the plot as a postscript file called "elec.ps"

2. Relevant equations
    None, just miscellaneous commands listed below

3. The attempt at a solution

set terminal png enhanced
    set output 'elec.ps'
    set polar
    set angle degrees
    set title 'Electron Density Around Molecule'
    set xrange[-5:5]
    set yrange[-5:5]
    set grid
    set grid polar
    plot (cos(x))^2 *(1+(cos(y))^2)*exp(-x^2/25)
    quit

I have tried changing x to r, y to t, y to theta, etc. I simply can't figure out how Gnuplot wants me to define polar coordinate inputs. Is there a way to redefine x as r*cos(theta) and y as r*sin(theta) and then let me set inputs and ranges for r and theta? I bet the answer is something obvious because Gnuplot is REALLY easy to use for rectangular coordinates.

Thank you for your help! :)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?