Creating Graphs with Gnuplot: Frequency of Range Values

In summary, the person is new to using the gnuplot program and is trying to create a histogram graph for a given column of values. They have been able to do it in Excel but not in gnuplot. They have provided an example of their data and are looking for suggestions on how to compile the necessary information from the column using gnuplot. They mention that exporting each file to Excel and graphing is a time-consuming process and are seeking help.
hakiran
hi,

i new to using the gnuplot program.

I am trying to create a graph which will calculate the frequency for the range of values in a given column, and plot it as a histogram

x-axis being range
y-axis being frequency

I have created it using excel...but couldn't not figure it out in gunplot.

Heres an example of how my file looks:

id1 id2 value1 value2
-------------------------------
a b 0.01 0.03
a2 c 0.05 0.06
a3 d 0.1 0.13
a4 e 0.12 0.14
a26 z 1.5 1.4

so if i want to plot the values in column4(Value2)

i have to first compile a table showing the range and frequency:

range frequency
------------------------------
0 - 0.1 3
0.1 - 0.2 6
0.2 - 0. 3 5
etc

how would you compile such info from Value2 column using gnuplot?
Once i get it to the above format...i know how to graph it.

I have an enourmous number of such files...and exporting each one to Excel and graphing...is a very painful and time consuming process.

Please help with your suggestions.

thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
hakiran said:
how would you compile such info from Value2 column using gnuplot?
You can't do it from gnu plot. You need to write your own program to do the binning first.

1. How do I install Gnuplot on my computer?

To install Gnuplot, you can download the appropriate version for your operating system from the official website. Detailed installation instructions can also be found on the website.

2. How do I input my data into Gnuplot to create a graph?

You can input your data into Gnuplot by creating a text file with your data points, separated by spaces or tabs. Then, use the "plot" command in Gnuplot to specify the file and columns of data to be plotted.

3. How can I change the appearance of my graph in Gnuplot?

Gnuplot offers various customization options such as changing the color, style, and size of data points, adding titles and labels, and adjusting axes. These can be done by using commands such as "set title" and "set style".

4. Can I plot multiple data sets on the same graph in Gnuplot?

Yes, you can plot multiple data sets on the same graph in Gnuplot by using the "multiplot" command. This allows you to have multiple graphs within the same figure, each representing a different data set.

5. How can I export my graph from Gnuplot?

You can export your graph from Gnuplot by using the "set terminal" command to specify the desired output format, such as PNG, PDF, or SVG. Then, use the "set output" command to specify the filename and path for the exported graph.