Gnuplot_pipes doesnt show anything on maxima

• Thread starter kevinfrankly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maxima
In summary, the speaker installed Maxima on their Ubuntu system and encountered issues with plotting. They were able to temporarily solve the problem by changing the plot format, but then faced issues with displaying axes and contour plotting. Despite searching for a solution, they were unable to find one and suspect that the issue may be with the plot format. It is suggested that they update their version of Maxima to possibly resolve the issue. Instructions for updating Maxima on Ubuntu can be found at the provided link.
kevinfrankly
hi ! recently i just installed maxima on my ubuntu and it was installed and worked properly , until i managed to do some plotting. i have to change the default plot_format => gnuplot_pipes into openmath for the plot function executed nicely. problem solved for a while, until i figured out that the axes wasnt displayed when i graph any 3d function, also openmath won't work for contour plotting. i have googled for hours but found nothing. i think the problem is the plot_format, so i changed it into gnuplot_pipes, but when i plot some function it shows nothing, and sometimes return "false".
please help me ...

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you may need to update your version of Maxima. You can check the version you have installed by running the command "maxima --version". The latest version is 5.43.1, so if you are running an older version, updating it may fix the issues you are having. You can find instructions for updating Maxima on Ubuntu here: https://www.ostechnix.com/install-maxima-gnu-octave-ubuntu/.

1. Why is Gnuplot_pipes not showing any plots in Maxima?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possibility is that the Gnuplot_pipes package is not properly installed in Maxima. Another reason could be that the input data is not in the correct format for Gnuplot to create a plot. It is also possible that there is a conflict with other packages or settings in Maxima.

2. How can I check if Gnuplot_pipes is installed in Maxima?

To check if Gnuplot_pipes is installed in Maxima, you can use the command "display2d;" in the Maxima console. If Gnuplot_pipes is installed, it will be listed under the "Packages" section. If it is not listed, it means that the package is not installed and you will need to install it before using it for plotting.

3. What format should my data be in for Gnuplot to plot it in Maxima?

Gnuplot_pipes requires data to be in a specific format for it to create a plot. The data should be in tabular form, with each column representing a different variable and each row representing a different data point. The first row should contain the headers for each column. Additionally, ensure that the data is in a format that is compatible with the type of plot you want to create (e.g. scatter plot, line graph, etc.).

4. How can I troubleshoot issues with Gnuplot_pipes not showing plots in Maxima?

If Gnuplot_pipes is not showing plots in Maxima, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue. First, make sure that you have followed the correct installation process for the package. Next, check the format of your data to ensure it is compatible with Gnuplot. You can also try restarting Maxima or checking for any conflicts with other packages. If the issue persists, you can consult the Gnuplot_pipes documentation or seek help from the Maxima community.

5. Can I use Gnuplot_pipes to customize my plots in Maxima?

Yes, Gnuplot_pipes allows for a high degree of customization in plots created in Maxima. You can use various commands and options within the package, such as changing the color or style of the plot, adding labels and titles, and adjusting the axes. You can also refer to the Gnuplot documentation for more advanced customization options.