Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Go faster

1. Jun 3, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Any enviromentalists do not look .

So do you want a fast vehicle? i am trying to get a classic 1960 motorbike
    to go faster, i know it will never reach current motorbike standards, but it is the challenge, with some nostalgia ,that drives me, any engine gurus out there? if so your advice would be much appriciated.
    What is your macho vehicle, car, bike, aircraft, whatever? and how much would you be willing to spend to go faster?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2006 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why get a faster bike?

The money you will spend making it go faster can buy you a faster bike.

Plus, why would you ruin a classic 1960 bike?

Personally, it would cost you a hell of a lot. Have any ideas of how much it would cost? Think thousands.

4. Jun 3, 2006 #3

wolram

Gold Member

I all ready have the bike Jason, and i have about 3g to spend on improving it.

5. Jun 3, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Let's have some details, Woolie. What kind of engine and driveline? Aerodynamic attributes? Pix...?

6. Jun 3, 2006 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'd say stay simple and improve on your Intake and Exhaust systems. You will most like need better jets after doing so.

Look into bigger and better intake and carbs. I have no clue how much that would cost though.

7. Jun 3, 2006 #6

wolram

Gold Member

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f184/wolram/

350 velo, no aerodynamics, chain drive.

you are right Jason, the head is the best place to start, but i need info on cam, cr, ratio etc, etc.

8. Jun 3, 2006 #7
    I don't think your asking the right question in this forum, I would listen to only 3 people's opinions on that matter: (1) turbo-1, (2) Brewnog and (3) Danger.

9. Jun 3, 2006 #8

wolram

Gold Member

:approve: But now you guys have a rep to keep:smile:

10. Jun 3, 2006 #9
    Wolram, go find yourself a forum dedicated to the exact brand of your motorbike. You will find lots of people who have experience in modifying the exact model of your bike. They will tell you what you could do and what to stay away from. With all due respect, I don't think anyone in here will give you sound advice on your particular bike.

11. Jun 3, 2006 #10

wolram

Gold Member

You are right Cyrus, but there is no info out there, i have asked in all the
    noted forums but come up blank, it seems the velo is a black hole when it comes to tunning.

12. Jun 3, 2006 #11
    Then ask yourself, are you prepared to spend 3g's and see no change in performance, or possibly do serious damage to the bike?

Do you know how much is going to be pushing the bike to a safe limit? Do you want to find this out as your are riding down a road? I would not.

If I were you, I would leave that nice bike alone and tune a POS bike that you don't care about (same model and brand, if you can find one).

13. Jun 3, 2006 #12

wolram

Gold Member

But Cyrus that would not be a chalenge, i want an oldie that goes fast and i
    have nothing else to spend my money on.

14. Jun 3, 2006 #13
  15. Jun 3, 2006 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Oh, that's the same one from your "I'm In Love" thread. I'm surprised that you'd want to tamper with it. It's a thumper, right?
    I don't know how common they are in the UK, but it would definitely be considered 'exotic' over here.
    Cyrus is right; proceed with caution. Some of the things that might need to be done aren't reversible. To start with, I'd upgrade the brakes to be suitable for whatever new top speed you manage. Some sort of fairing would be nice too, to keep you from getting blown off of the thing and reduce air resistance.
    Before we start thinking about engine mods, remember that the easiest way to get more top end is to change your sprocket ratio and/or use a larger diameter rear tire. The trade-off is that your acceleration will be slower.

PS: Thanks for the compliment, Cyrus. I'd throw my money behind Fred Garvin and Astronuc on this too, though, and Hypatia if she's as good with bikes as she is with cars.

16. Jun 3, 2006 #15

wolram

Gold Member

Danger i want an exotic thumper that goes fast:smile: no fairing, maybe clip ons and rearsets, she is a lovely bike but i must push the envelope.

17. Jun 3, 2006 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

jet engine

18. Jun 3, 2006 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Okay, then. Here are a few starting points.
    Bore and stroke the motor for more displacement. Find out how much it can be safely bored, and go about .030" less than that. You want to leave some leeway for a re-bore or honing if you need it later. Stroking will also increase your compression ratio, so choose your new piston with that in mind. I don't know what your fuel quality is like over there; here you're pushing it at 10:1. If you're going to put a blower on it, stay at 8:1 or so. That ratio will also partially determine how you have to set your ignition timing.
    Get the highest lift cam you can find, but choose the duration, dwell, overlap etc. based upon what RPM range you want your power band to be in. Likewise your intake pipe. Generally speaking, a longer runner gives a higher RPM 'pipe'. Port and polish the head and the intake and exhaust pipes (does this thing even have an intake pipe, or is the carb mounted to the head? I'm not used to single-cylinder jobs).
    I always recommend putting a rev-limiter on anything that's going to be wound out with any regularity. It can save your engine (and maybe your ass) if you shell your chain at full throttle.
    It might also be a good idea to put larger fins on the head for additional cooling.
    Oh yeah... don't forget to shorten the forks so you'll be driving downhill all the time. :biggrin:

19. Jun 3, 2006 #18

dav2008

Gold Member

Go faster? Why would you want to go faster? The most you're going to be doing is probably around 75 on most highways. Maybe 85 on the highways out west.

Am I wrong to assume that most cars/motorcycles are capable of going that fast? I would be afraid to go that fast on a motorcycle though.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  20. Jun 3, 2006 #19
  21. Jun 3, 2006 #20
    Hahaha, you're joking, right? A person who has a sports bike usually cruises at 160 mph on any highway and hits 200 mph a couple times a day. You've no idea how easy this is on a bike. They don't care about passing a cop with a radar, since they're impossible to catch anyway. I have a friend who has a CBR 929, he does 160 mph all the time, he never stops for police and he's never been caught.

Seriously, I usually cruise at around 100 mph in my slow Sentra, occasionally going up to 120 mph , not faster just because it doesn't go any faster, and it takes a year to reach that speed.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?