1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Go for a trade or a MSc.?

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    Hello.
    I've got a big moral dillema that I can't seem to solve myself :confused:

This is my situation: final year in uni, finishing my BSc. w/ Physics Major and Comp.Sci. minor.
    My GPA is good enough to get me into a graduate program.
    Over the years I've realized that I enjoy programming (not as much as Physics, but still).
    I want to work in something applied - like software development for example.

I could go for a MSc. in Computer Science, but that graduate program is strongly based on theory and it does not offer many opportunities after graduation (for work; most people go for a PhD afterwards). And I cannot complete a Masters in Comp Sci (MCompSci) because it requires a bachelors' in Computer Science :frown:

Or, I could go to a different college and obtain a 3-year diploma in programming, which would really allow me to get a job. However, the downside is that where I live, this diploma is equivalent to something between trade college program/bachelors and I honestly have no idea how something like this would look like on a CV (preceeded by a BSc. Physics).

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted