Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Go for a trade or a MSc.?

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    Hello.
    I've got a big moral dillema that I can't seem to solve myself :confused:

This is my situation: final year in uni, finishing my BSc. w/ Physics Major and Comp.Sci. minor.
    My GPA is good enough to get me into a graduate program.
    Over the years I've realized that I enjoy programming (not as much as Physics, but still).
    I want to work in something applied - like software development for example.

I could go for a MSc. in Computer Science, but that graduate program is strongly based on theory and it does not offer many opportunities after graduation (for work; most people go for a PhD afterwards). And I cannot complete a Masters in Comp Sci (MCompSci) because it requires a bachelors' in Computer Science :frown:

Or, I could go to a different college and obtain a 3-year diploma in programming, which would really allow me to get a job. However, the downside is that where I live, this diploma is equivalent to something between trade college program/bachelors and I honestly have no idea how something like this would look like on a CV (preceeded by a BSc. Physics).

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated!

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted