Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Go get a drink dates

1. Jun 23, 2011 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

"Go get a drink" dates

I was reading in another forum about this guy complaining about something that I have recently being realizing as well. This guy and I both don't drink. This guy was complaining about whenever he wants to go on a date with a girl, the girl invariably says that they should go get a drink or to a bar. He made some very funny observations such as wondering if dating is such an awkward concept that alcohol must be introduced for it to be bearable. I brought up the idea that girls do it because a drink is much easier to run away from than dinner or a movie if they don't like the guy.

I wonder if most people realize that they're so dull that alcohol must be introduced in order to make them seem more interesting.

So how in the world do people get by meeting new people if they aren't down with just going to a bar or partying?

DISCUSS!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2011 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Re: "Go get a drink" dates

In college, I asked girls to hook up with me and attend recitals at the music department or to wander out to the stock-yards and feed the cows or sheep. Maybe I was a stupid cheap date, but I ended up with some very tight girlfriends, even if they were not my main love-interests.

4. Jun 23, 2011 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Um - find others who don't drink. Many people don't drink alcohol. Both sets of my grandparents were tea totalers. My dad occasionally drank wine or beer, but it was rare.

On my first date with my wife, we went to a steakhouse. We each had iced tea, which is somewhat customary in the south. At the time, we had encountered each other opver a period of 6 months at the home of a mutual friend who used to do dinner parties. Some drank beer, others drank soda or tea.

Sometimes meeting dates in the middle of the day precludes drinking alcohol. If someone is drinking a cocktail in the middle of a workday, that's not a good sign (in the US). In Europe, I had beer or wine with lunch during a business meeting, but that's cultural.

Start out slow, and if one has an aversion to alcohol, get it out early.

5. Jun 23, 2011 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They go get coffee instead.

The best part of this is that the caffeine keeps you from falling asleep even when your date is incredibly dull.

If she's absolutely too dull to be tolerated even with coffee and she happens to be wearing sandals, you could always wander out to the stockyards with her in the dark. She'll want to go back home and wash her feet and it will save you the awkwardness of telling her you want her to leave.

Or at least I hope she'll leave after wandering through the stockyards in sandals. Oh, god, please leave. Please, please leave.:yuck:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  6. Jun 23, 2011 #5

You're not too in touch with the younger generations are you? I can count on one hand the number of girls I met in my entire life that don't drink. One of them I've already dated.

I don't drink either, and I always find it awkward having a date get smashed and myself be completely sober. I think a lot of people use alcohol as liquid courage as the main motivation to drink. Nothing you can really do about it but accept thats just the way most people are.

7. Jun 23, 2011 #6

Evo

Welcome to Dating Chat, with your hostess with the mostess - Evo.

Most dating sites advise meeting a date at a predetermined, safe place. They also suggest that it's a place you've been before, if not, do a dry run and check it out first so you don't feel lost, have an idea of what's available, prices, where the bathroom is and how to make a quick exit, just in case.

Make it drinks, whether it's coffee, soda, smoothies, or alcohol, it's easier to make an excuse after one drink and leave (which is why you take your own car, cab, whatever). If it turns out the angels sing and you see fireworks, you can always move the date to a restaurant or a movie to make it last longer.

Make sure your friends/family know where you are, and if you decide to go somewhere else, send them a text to let them know.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  8. Jun 23, 2011 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the angles sing, I'll pull out my trusty protactor and twang it in accompaniment.

I'll bet that will get me a second date.

9. Jun 23, 2011 #8

Evo

:rofl: Singing angles is probably more exciting for this crowd.

10. Jun 23, 2011 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Sigh.

BYE EVO!!!!

11. Jun 23, 2011 #10

Evo

Here ya go Peng. Use this as a come on to women, I assure you that you will get a reaction. I don't know what, but no one could ignore this. "You sould message me if you'd like to wander out to the stock-yards and feed the cows or sheep".

Thank our survivalist dating expert "turbo one kenobi". for that one.

Perhaps we could have a "Chuck Norris dating pick up lines" thread?

12. Jun 23, 2011 #11

Evo

Hey, I'm getting hits, but I'm too lazy to do anything.

13. Jun 23, 2011 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

*micromass is wondering if he should put this on his OKCupid profile*

14. Jun 23, 2011 #13

You misunderstand the function of booze in the equation. As someone said, the superego is the one part of the psyche that is soluble in alcohol. Most people don't have the nerve to initiate a physical encounter unless they're feeling high and expansive from at least a couple under their belt.

15. Jun 23, 2011 #14

I think you have to view it like this: drinking is a hobby-like past time for many. Even social drinking to some is a no-no.

Replace drinking with 'going to the movies' and does the post sound any more odd? Or replace drinking with 'sky diving', 'rock climbing', 'cow tipping' or any other activity and treat it as such. I think the only thing that makes 'drinking' a situation is because it's pretty ubiquitous and far more common of an interest than anything above (except maybe movie going).

Also remember that many don't drink to get drunk. Some just enjoy the social atmosphere of a club/bar - the drinks are just the MO of the situation.

16. Jun 24, 2011 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They don't live in Fresno?

17. Jun 24, 2011 #16

I've thought of rock climbing as a first date idea, but then I realized when you go rock climbing you're actually putting your life in your date's hands. Maybe try bouldering instead.

18. Jun 24, 2011 #17

Coffee.

Otherwise, I don't drink and tend to avoid girls who drink more than very slightly.

19. Jun 24, 2011 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I don't drink coffee either by the way. I wonder if I can ask a girl out for a soda.

20. Jun 24, 2011 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't have to dictate what she's going to order.

21. Jun 24, 2011 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'm just trying to be chivalrous

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook