God and physics

• Thread starter airkapp
  • Start date
Janitor
Science Advisor
wikkidwife said:
... I suppose it's true that Strobel "is no longer capable of being influenced by objective evidence from the natural world outside of his own self." But he was at one point, and isn't that objective evidence from the natural world what got him where he is now?

Something that might be of interest to you is that at the end of that interview, Strobel asked people to pray for the success of his upcoming knee surgery. You will probably want to ask yourself Why doesn't Strobel act in accordance with the New Testament, and have members of his church anoint him with oil and pray for his complete and instantaneous healing? Such healing would be 100 percent perfect, whereas the healing done by surgeons is only partial, and takes a period of recuperation.

So there is a crack in Strobel's armor of faith, it seems to me. Maybe he is keeping one foot out there in the physical world of scalpels, sutures, and painkilling drugs, after all.

Janitor said:
Something that might be of interest to you is that at the end of that interview, Strobel asked people to pray for the success of his upcoming knee surgery. You will probably want to ask yourself Why doesn't Strobel act in accordance with the New Testament, and have members of his church anoint him with oil and pray for his complete and instantaneous healing? Such healing would be 100 percent perfect, whereas the healing done by surgeons is only partial, and takes a period of recuperation.

So there is a crack in Strobel's armor of faith, it seems to me. Maybe he is keeping one foot out there in the physical world of scalpels, sutures, and painkilling drugs, after all.

Good point. Absolutely true. But the thing is, he's on a spiritual journey. That's where he's at in his journey. I'm guessing that isn't the only crack in his faith. I'm sure i've got cracks in my faith as well, that's just where i'm at right now. I'm not sure that anybody out there has perfect faith. We're all just working on it. Isn't that what life is, really? (You do make very good points though).

Questions

jackle said:
I think evolution is a very beautiful and powerful ability and is one of the main things that seperates life from ordindary objects. The big bang is an expression of unthinkable power and force. It is the very things that many atheists take as evidence against God that are the most awesome displays of divinity, going far beyond anything the writers of The Bible could ever have thought up.

I don't get it.

I can agree and disagree with this. Yeah, there's certainly alot of irony from the atheist camp. It certainly takes alot more faith to say that our existence is a probability than to say it was orchestrated.

The common factor of the Bible writers is God. Their stories are historical accounts of things that happened, rather than fictional stories with a moral. Nearly every event after the Flood has substancial archaological evidence to corroborate it. In one respect, you're right. There is alot that goes beyond what the writers of the Bible could ascertain. The truth is the events they recorded were so supernatural that they had to write it down, because they know no one would believe it.

IMO I don't believe that there's any case for evolution. Some people seem to be content believing that 5 billion years and random chance is all that separates them from a chemistry set. I find it too hard to swallow, separate from my faith. The fact that my faith allows no room for evolution does not prevent me from remaining objective. If anything it causes me to ask more questions to reaffirm if what I believe is true.

Questions like: Supposing that evolution is an inherent ability in all living things, where is the evidence that it is currently happening or has happened?

Is the universe old enough for evolution to have reached it's current status?

Can evolution explain all phenomenon in the natural world, i.e. flying, sonar, etc?

Janitor
Science Advisor
wikkidwife said:
... he's on a spiritual journey. That's where he's at in his journey...

When you have the time, there are some autobiographical sketches of spiritual journies you may wish to read at this site:

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/testimonials/index.shtml [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
by erraticimpulse: "But the Bible has made definite and clear statements concerning the natural world. And still it remains uncontradicted or disproven."

Ok, so you're saying that modern science doesn't contradict the notion that all of humanity could have developed from two people, ie Adam and Eve? Are you familiar with the effects of inbreeding? In fact, the only mechanism by which this could "possibly" (and this is a stretch) work is..... evolution.

Furthermore, if one is to take the bible literally we can deduce the age of the universe to be approximately 5,000 years (as many folks have done over the past two millenia) which is in DIRECT contradiction to ALL the evidence.

so, your statement is fallacious.

Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
arildno said:
Your example with "half a heart" is merely a testament to your naivite and ignorance.

Let's not use degrading remarks here because you don't agree.

This thread does violate our PF policy as of now, so I regret to say it needs to be locked.