God & Physics: A Debate on Believing in Both

• Thread starter Tido611
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a lot of my physics friends talk of god in such ways that leed me to believe that they believe in him/her/it (whichever) but I am not so convinced. It has always been my understanding that it is one or the other, how could one beileve in god when we ourselves understand most of what is happening around us and we are working toward the rest. Some people think that religion and faith is meant to try to explain things that is impossible for science to explain, while others think that religion should be separated from science because some people take religious books too literally.
lawtonfogle said:
This would make sense, if science could explain the first cause. But it can't.

And religion can do better ? Is saying "It was caused by an incomprehensible
Being" an improvement on "We don't knwo what caused it?"

Physics news on Phys.org
Les Sleeth said:
Hey, are you my long lost missing twin or what? :biggrin:

Probably not. I suspect we have a number of differing views (e.g. regarding theism).

Check out the debate "Are We Intelligently Designed?" On page 5 and/or 6 I offer some alternatives to pure Darwinism.

I did see something about "universal consciousness," which sounds a little too mystical for me (at least regarding science) though that sort of thing causing evolutionary changes is compatible with intelligent design (since it says that artificial intervention is necessary, not who or what did it). Intelligent design is more "scientifically" testable than the pantheistic possibility you suggested (see post #146 of that thread), so perhaps we might find some common ground there.

It seems that I'm joining this a bit late, but someone said earlier in this thread thta he believes that people believe in god because they think that divinity tells them what was there and how to understand science...

Maybe that is true for muslims, my muslim friends always say that they believe in Quran because it gives them the facts they need, and day by day, the science proved it, I'm no Quran reader so i donno how correct is that.

But i don't think all religions are like that...In a way u people are right, at some point science and God will meet, and things aren't any longer separate for u, still that doesn't make u dump science if u r a God believer...
And what do we seek? Truth? God is THE TRUTH and for me this is how it goes..So the need of God is always there because, u never know how true is ur science, or how decieving it might be, u always want to refer to an origin point that u can rely on...And that's a human need, that's why people need God..
From another point once u are a believer, there's a feel u get for God, either u love or hate him or both...

The thing is, u can't disprove God, and u donno what's his definition, the one i love is that God is Love, and love is everywhere when u seek for it...

And hence god is true, because the definition i chose works for me well so far, when u say a theory is true, u say so because u can experimentally see that it really works, and u might just need more than an experiment, and sometimes, u can have an experiment that would destruct all ur previous work...

Correct me if I'm wrong..

There have been so many versions/explanations (spiritually and scientifically) that starts with an assumption and ends with a question.

If I may re-phrase what Mk wrote in the early replies about what St. Thomas puts in poem originally as:

Things are in motion, hence there is a first mover.
Things are caused, hence there is a first cause
Things exist, hence there is a creator
Perfect goodness exists, hence it has a source
Things are designed, hense they serve a purpose

into:

There is a first mover, hence things are in motion.
There is a first cause, hence things are caused.
There is a creator, hence things exists.
There is a source, hence perfect goodness exists,
There is a purpose, hence things are designed.

But through all these logical thinking, it will always lead to:

Who was the first mover? How?
Who causes it?/What causes it? How?
Who is the creator? How?
Who/What is the sourced? How?
Who/What is the purpose? How?

and to top all these questions is the question WHY?

I can understand why PF stopped the Religious forums because it could lead to 'unending' questions as replies from the readers and thus unending debates and defense of what each of us believe. As T.H. Huxley generalize it: "Never has there been so clear an appreciation of the unity of all phenomena, and hence of the absurdity of both materialism and spiritualism."

Back to Tido611's question on: how can you be a man of science and The Church?...it will still lead to the question WHY NOT?

and so on and so forth...:smile:

Tido611 said:
... i was just wondering how can you be a man of science and The Church?

The Church and science have a long and bitter history, and seem mostly incompatible. I think this is due to a struggle to maintain control and power. The Church sees science as a threat and science tends to discount God because he/she/it can not be measured or observed.

I think a better question is how can you be a man of science and faith?

To this I have an answer. Easy, the two are separate and non-competitive. It’s not difficult to imagine God created all the laws of universe, and set them in motion for us to discover. The bible said God created Man in His own image, if this is true it stands to reason that we would eagerly seek out and try to understand the workings of the universe and try to recreate facets of it.

Tournesol said:
lawtonfogle said:
This would make sense, if science could explain the first cause. But it can't.

And religion can do better ? Is saying "It was caused by an incomprehensible
Being" an improvement on "We don't knwo what caused it?"

If it’s the best explanation, yes. My own belief after thinking about such matters is that God is the best explanation for:

• the caused beginning of the universe
  • the existence of objective moral values
  • the existence of the human soul
  • etc.

Whether you agree with this or not, note that some of these things are beyond the scope of science (the existence of ethics and the soul fall under the realm of philosophy). One of the reasons why the “God of the gaps” argument (the claim that religious flourishes in the gaps that science continues to fill) against theism doesn’t quite work is that science can’t give us a complete explanation for everything even in principle.

chaos_5 said:
The Church and science have a long and bitter history

...that has often been exaggerated (Galileo, Darwin etc.). Anti-religious stories often leave out important and relevant facts. One example: beginning with the recovery of ancient learning in the twelfth century and continuing through the Copernican upheavals and on even into the Enlightenment, the Roman Catholic Church gave more financial and social support to the study of astronomy--Copernican and otherwise--than did any other institution.

Easy, the two are separate and non-competitive. It’s not difficult to imagine God created all the laws of universe, and set them in motion for us to discover.

Indeed, many of the founding fathers of modern science (nearly all of which were Christians or at least theists) took the same attitude. Additionally, it was Cardinal Baronius who had declared that the “Holy Ghost intended to teach us how to go to heaven, not how the heavens go.”

I think Science and Religion go hand to hand. There is tons of science in the Judo-Christian Bible and Islam Quran(Koran); not necessarily very specific to things like quantum mechanics or higher level of mathematics but non the less its still impressive and poetic. Nowadays there are a lot of people in Churchs,temples,mosque,etc... Who are theistic evolution some in my own family are and they presue careers in Science.

So Science and Religion don't always make a good fight on pay-per-view, of course in some cases conflicts arise between the two.

The conflict arises between people as usual...

Tido611 said:
A lot of my physics friends talk of god in such ways that leed me to believe that they believe in him/her/it (whichever) but I am not so convinced. It has always been my understanding that it is one or the other, how could one beileve in god when we ourselves understand most of what is happening around us and we are working toward the rest. I mean no disrespect or ill will to any religious poeple but i was just wondering how can you be a man of science and The Church?
I was just wanting some insight from both sides of this argument
( i wasnt quite sure if this thread should even be under this topic but i felt it was most appropriate)

'Science' and religion are 100% orthogonal; neither has any means of casting any weight or even shadow upon the other.

It's why mankind embraces both. Between the two of them, we got existence pretty much covered on all axes.

By definition, science is and will remian forever impotent in either proving or disproving the existence of the concept 'God'. By definition, science has no means to do so. It's a totally rigged problem, scientists have no business weighing in one way or the other; they are either faulty scientists, or they don't fully understand the concept 'God.'

The most truthful, fully scientific and rational answer to the question "Does God Exist?" that a dyed in the wool scientist can honestly ever make is "I don't know, if I have to decide, it can only be as matter of faith one way or the other."

even in the hypothetical/mythical confrontation with a being candidate presenting itself as 'God.'

fully understanding the limits of science and the by definition non-limits on the concept of 'God,' a scientist would have to concede that even in such an asburd laboratory experiment( "God" subjecting himself to the jump through Ant Hoop circus demonstrations demanded by ants pressing their little claims, "Are you really God and not just some advanced species ****ing with us ants?"), science would be totally and uterly useless in answering that simple question, "Are you really God?"

What would such an Ant Hoop demand be? "Bring back the dead?" "Make cripples walk again?"

Too late, happens every day.

How about, "Show me what's going on on the other side of the village--county--state--nation--earth--solar system--universe--right now?" Take your pick, at whatever the current level of merely technological advancement you think is sufficient to prove that you are dealing with God and not some slick species merely 500 years more advanced than we are now...

How about, "Transport me across the village...county...state...nation...earth...sola r system...universe...?"

How about, "restore life from this bit of DNA?" Oooh, fantastic.

How about some fantastic causality blowing demand? And when the God candidate gets tired of our petulant little demands for parlor tricks , laughs and says, "Sorry, can't do that," do we:

a] Throw up our little ant hands and claim, "Aha! Then, you are not God, and that is proof, because you failed to jump through our little Ant Hoops!"

b] Scratch our heads, get out our God-O-Meter, and try our little scientific best to figure out if God just chose not to jump through our little Ant Hoops? Where's our control? How do folks repeat our little experiment, and get repeatable results? God might be busy, maybe one sit down for a lab experiment per species is all we get...

The purpose of the above hypothetical experiment is to amuse, and to demonstrate that, even when given its best shot (a curiously cooperative God willing to subject himself to our little Ant Hoop tests, "Here, jump through our Ant Hoops, prove to us you are God!"), science is totally unable to gird itself up to answer the question, "Are you ~really~ God?"

Maybe a demi-God. Maybe some species just 500 years more advanced then we are. Maybe God. Maybe God ****ing with us, pretending not to be God, see what we'd do? Who knows? Not science. By definition. And even in the ability to disprove via destructive testing, (Well, we took out a S&W 500 and shot the subject, and sure enough, he died), unable ever to answer the big question, "This is getting tiring; was this the last candidate for God?"

That leaves, for each and every one of us, even those of us who 'believe' that we've already been presented with undeniable in our face evidence one way or the other, a simple question of personal faith; we can never 'know' as in, what science claims it currently 'knows.'

We can never 'know,' we can never even 'prove.' We can only 'believe,' one way or the other, lockstep beliefs that can and will never be objectively provable one way or the other. Even, I might add, if we wake up in 'an after life.' All that would demonstrate is our misunderstanding of existence in the 'before life,' a change of the boundaries of our incomplete understanding of existence.

That is why I am a devout non-aligned agnostic theist. I recognize that all churches are 100% manmade fabrications. I recognize that all religions are 100% manmade fabrications. But, I also recognize that they are both 100% fabrications in response to an unanswerable fundamental question, and the fundamental question is rigged. "God?"

If you at least believe the Universe exists, then for all any of us know, the Universe as it is is God, not our childish ant hoop demands of what God should look like or what ant hoops God must jump through before God is God.

OTOH, if someone knows the Universe exists, and simultaneously claims to believe or even know that God does not, I can only ask how they could 'know' that, and wonder where that religious fervor comes from?

I'm not a true believer; I'm a true 'don't know but believer.' I believe in a notion of God that I can never know, but am grateful to anyway, even if it is just one fantastic ride in this maybe imperfect Universe. I can't subscribe to the ingrate demand that there be a 'better life' waiting then the Universe that plainly exists. If this is the one and only ride, I wan't to be fully prepared to be grateful, and plainly just say 'Thank-you.'

If it turns out I am grateful to nothing more than an uncaring Universe, well, I'll never know, and in the meantime, I can live with that.

I've spent most of my life in and around science/engineering of some type, and for the life of me, do not understand the antagonism between religion and science, excpet on the basis of some misplaced religious fervor/turf war thing. There is no scientific basis for the antagonism, and there is no religious basis for the antagonism; for all we ants know with our religious ant hoops, God chose science and evolution and so on as his means of letting the Universe spin away. Who are we to tell God how to be God? Miracles aren't miracle enough, they got to be '7 day miracles' or else God is not God?

All that is the fabricated manmade religious literature of ancient men long dead. They may not have known it, but they didn't know, too, just like us also just naked sweaty apes.

Tido611 said:
I mean no disrespect or ill will to any religious poeple but i was just wondering how can you be a man of science and The Church?
I was just wanting some insight from both sides of this argument

If you're from Kansas, you can be a man of science and the Church.

I remember I've read the names of many priests who were working on developping some theories of physics, but i wish i could only remember the names...

I still don't understand what kinda contradiction should be between church and science, or religion and science or God and science?

Nomy-the wanderer said:
I remember I've read the names of many priests who were working on developping some theories of physics, but i wish i could only remember the names...
I still don't understand what kinda contradiction should be between church and science, or religion and science or God and science?
I didn't read a page or two of this thread yet, so I'm not sure if this was touched on before, but I think that Einstein put it best in saying that reality as we know it is a persistent illusion. In other words, it can be argued that all the rules of physics, and the laws of nature in general, are part of a grand illusion created by God. I think that being a religious scientist is very possible, since you can look at science as a way of understanding the "persistant illusion" that God created.