Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

God & Big Bang

1. May 29, 2005 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

Do you think that Big Bang theory reject God existence?
    I don't know if you discuss about it before.But I want to know do you think that we couldn't accept Big Bang theory and God existence together?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2005 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

'Since we think that the big bang was two universes colliding, and by knowing that these universes have existed forever, it does contradict the creation of all things(bible's point of view)

4. May 29, 2005 #3
    I don't know how we know that these two universes existed forever thereby contradicting creation. In fact, more than one "universe" is logically impossible.

The Big Bang and God are both theories, I don't see why they can't coincide.

Besides, it's in scripture:

And God said, "let there be a big-A55 bang!!"

5. May 29, 2005 #4
    That's true. Both theories are looking for the same thing, which is truth.

6. May 29, 2005 #5
    Wasnt the Big Bang theory invented by a Belgian Priest?
    I believe it was seen as he moment of creation.

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  7. May 29, 2005 #6

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Father Lemaitre, that was. Belgian, I believe. Back in the 1920s or 30s. It wasn't called the big bang back then; that was a 1950s sneer by the steady state cosmologists that was proudly taken up and used by the BB cosmologists.

8. May 29, 2005 #7
    ^^^interesting

How about "in the beginning was the word and the word was God and the word was with God and the word was BANG." It's funny how sound now has a part to play in early universe inflation

In the first years after the big bang, oscillations would have resonated through the expanding ball of ionized gas as gravity tried to compress some regions, generating acoustic waves. "It's quite like a musical instrument," explains Wayne Hu, a cosmologist at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey. "You see one fundamental frequency and then overtones." After 300,000 years, the universe cooled enough to let free electrons combine with nuclei, making the gas transparent and releasing the radiation we now see as the CMBR.

The radiation emitted then should contain an imprint of the density peaks and valleys of the resonances. The wavelength of the main resonance--called the first Doppler peak of the CMBR--represents the distance sound waves could travel in 300,000 years. And because the speed of sound and the distance the CMBR traveled to us are both roughly known, the wavelength of the first peak is essentially a measuring stick laid out of the sky at a known distance. From its apparent size as seen from Earth, cosmologists can calculate the properties of the lens through which we are viewing it--the geometry of space.

http://cas.bellarmine.edu/tietjen/Ec&Ev_Distance_learning/cosmology.htm

9. May 29, 2005 #8
    Certainly you can believe in God and the big bang, but when you start believing specifics about God is when your definition of a god becomes your god and not necessarily somebody elses god. As for the big bang being in line with the Bible, that's just colorable at best.

10. May 31, 2005 #9
    What if the big bang is continuously occurring, and it has been for all eternity? GR says time is slower in higher energy densities (matter per unit space). If time is stopped at the center of the big bang (corresponding to infinate energy-density at that one single point), then it's only the stuff around that point that percieves time. Therefore, the universe has always existed, and will always exist, we are simply in one small neighborhood (observable universe) that is flying away from the center and it looks to us like the big bang happened once in the past, in a single moment.

11. May 31, 2005 #10
    but there's no reason why God didn't create this scenerio either... I don't think.

12. May 31, 2005 #11
    Personally...no.

'Gods' existence is purely hypothetical based on written text.

Where the existance of God can be debated in a Metaphysical way I think the possibility of there being a 'Big Bang' belongs in the Physical arena.

13. Jun 2, 2005 #12
    Are you saying that the two concepts couldn't coexist, that they are somehow mutually exclusive??

14. Jun 2, 2005 #13
    Well sure, that's true. Genesis spells out the creation story and there's nothing like a big bang anywhere near that..

Fortunatily in my own scripture God and the Big Bang both happened. In fact, it's not like God made the big bang, or the other way around, it's just that they both happened and made each other. It's pretty deep.. But God was the big bang and he made it happen..

15. Jun 6, 2005 #14
    To me, they're not so much as 'mutually exclusive' but have nothing to do with each other as far as my perception goes. It may be different for you.

If you like I can give you my thoughts on religion and why I came to my conclusion. Religion and Politics are 2 dodgy subjects to talk about, especially in the Web, because people can get quite emotional about things but I don't mind giving it a go :smile:

16. Jun 7, 2005 #15
    Both are theories and i think big bang is more believable as it tells that the universe originated billions and billions of years ago. As per Bible it happened a few thousands of years ago which definitely not true.

17. Jun 7, 2005 #16
    manulal, Can you tell me where in the bible it says when the universe was created? I did a search for it but it's a really long book so all I could find was "in the beginning".

18. Jun 8, 2005 #17
    The 'beginning' was calculated by counting back the ages stated in the bible however I found this on the Web:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?