Does a Duck's Quack Really Not Echo?

• Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about whether or not a duck's quack echoes. The original poster read online that it doesn't, but is looking for proof. Another member mentions a previous thread on the topic where someone proved that it does echo. The original poster then expresses surprise and mentions not having enough time to go through all the sections of the website.
Andy
Dont suppose anyone here remembers the God damned ducks thread from the previous physicsforums, if they do they will remember that i asked this question assuming i knew the answer but without being able to confirm it. So hear we go again and let's see if anyone has any proof.

I read once on the internet that a ducks quack doesn't Echo, some of the people i knew at college beleived this and said that it had to be something odd about the soundwaves that are the ducks quack.

This is quite amusing but proove my assumption, that it has too echo because its a soundwave correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm surprised you didn't see the article Ivan Seeking started a thread about, roughly two months ago. Apparently someone proved they do echo. If I recall the thread was titled: "Quack, quack, quack." Something like that.

Originally posted by Andy
Dont suppose anyone here remembers the God damned ducks thread from the previous physicsforums, if they do they will remember that i asked this question assuming i knew the answer but without being able to confirm it. So hear we go again and let's see if anyone has any proof.

I read once on the internet that a ducks quack doesn't Echo, some of the people i knew at college beleived this and said that it had to be something odd about the soundwaves that are the ducks quack.

This is quite amusing but proove my assumption, that it has too echo because its a soundwave correct.

Alien 1, Monkey 0.

Cool, yea i did miss that thread i don't have as much time to go over all of the different sections of the website anymore, its so damned BIG! I never knew there was a scepticism and debunking forum.

1. Can a duck's quack really echo?

Yes, a duck's quack can indeed echo. However, it may be difficult to hear due to the low frequency and short duration of the sound.

2. What causes a duck's quack to echo?

When a sound is produced, it creates sound waves that travel through the air. When these sound waves hit an object, they bounce off and create an echo. This is the same process that occurs when a duck's quack echoes.

3. Does the environment affect a duck's quack echo?

Yes, the environment can have an impact on a duck's quack echo. For example, if the surface the duck is on is soft, like grass or water, the sound waves may be absorbed and not create an echo. Additionally, the shape and size of the area can also affect the echo.

4. Can all duck species produce an echo?

Yes, all duck species are capable of producing an echo. However, some species may have a louder or more distinct quack, making it easier to hear the echo.

5. Is it possible to measure a duck's quack echo?

Yes, it is possible to measure a duck's quack echo using sound recording equipment. This can provide information about the strength and duration of the echo, which can vary depending on the environment and the specific duck species.