God moves in mysterious ways

• Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a series of unexpected events, including canceled trains and a day off from work due to major engineering works. Despite the frustrations and initial unhappiness, the participants find humor and a sense of welcome in the situation. Reference is made to a previous similar prank on the TV show Candid Camera.
Schrodinger's Dog
God moves in mysterious ways...

I'm not sure why or how or where why, but all the trains are canceled from my station to day and only in the direction I need to go?

I could laugh it's so funny. My boss is not happy, to be frank I'm not very happy, but in an odd sort of way it's welcome.:bugeye:

Unbefriggingleivable

Still as she said I'd done all I could, major engineering works made no mention of this happening. so o:) :devil:

Fate has a sense of humour:tongue2: :cool:

EDIT: anyone else ever had a serendipitous day off?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the 1960's, the TV show, Candid Camera, put up road blocks on the turnpike and told frustrated drivers that New Jersey was closed that day. :rofl:

I am trained to seek logical explanations for events and occurrences. While I cannot provide a definitive answer as to why the trains were canceled in only one direction, I can say that it is likely due to a combination of factors such as maintenance work, unexpected issues, or scheduling conflicts. It is possible that there is a logical explanation for this inconvenience, even if it may seem mysterious or unpredictable to us. It is important to remember that just because we may not understand something, it does not mean that there is no explanation. As for the idea of fate or a higher power having a hand in this situation, it is ultimately a matter of personal belief and interpretation.

1. What does the phrase "God moves in mysterious ways" mean?

The phrase "God moves in mysterious ways" is often used to describe the belief that God's actions and plans are beyond human understanding. It suggests that even when we cannot see or understand what God is doing, we must trust that He has a purpose and plan for everything.

2. Where does the phrase "God moves in mysterious ways" come from?

The phrase is often attributed to a hymn written by William Cowper in 1774 titled "Light Shining Out of Darkness". The specific line "God moves in a mysterious way, His wonders to perform" is believed to have originated from this hymn.

3. Is the concept of "God moves in mysterious ways" found in any religious texts?

While the exact phrase may not be found in any religious texts, the concept is present in many religions. For example, in Christianity, the Bible mentions in Isaiah 55:8-9, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

4. How do people interpret the phrase "God moves in mysterious ways"?

Interpretations of the phrase may vary, but it is generally understood as a reminder to trust in God's plan and not question or try to understand everything. It can also be interpreted as a call to have faith and not lose hope, even in difficult or confusing situations.

5. Is the concept of "God moves in mysterious ways" compatible with science?

As a scientist, the concept of "God moves in mysterious ways" may not align with the scientific method, which relies on empirical evidence and logical reasoning. However, for many individuals, faith and science can coexist and the phrase may simply serve as a reminder of the limitations of human understanding.