Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

God releases Satan ? Why God allow Evil to exist?

1. Sep 11, 2003 #1
    The Revelation says, Satan will be jailed 1000 years, after that it will be released to confuse nations.

Why like that?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2003 #2

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also, why was the devil allowed to exist in the first place?

4. Sep 11, 2003 #3

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the basic idea is that the devil was initially an angel with free will. This angel used its free will to disobey God and so was banished.

5. Sep 11, 2003 #4
    IT IS A FAIRY TALE!!

Whew!!

See, in a fairy tale, you have to have the good guy and the bad guy. In the Bible, without a super-powerful bad guy, the 'God' character, being all powerful, would have to take the blame for evil as well as good, so a second characher was created. It still doesn't make sense to the nonbelievers, of course, because a critical look would show that an all-knowing, all powerful being would have to be psychotic to create its own enemies...unless it is, as I said, a fairy tale.

6. Sep 11, 2003 #5
    Because without somebody to tempt us to do wrong (or bad), then it would not "expose" us to our weaknesses, and we would not inquire (of God) about how to grow beyond it, "spiritually."

7. Sep 11, 2003 #6
    According to bible, God wants everone to believe in Jesus and saved, but Satan wants people to disbelieve God and sin.
    If without Satan's influence, there should be more people to believe in Jesus and do less sin. However, God seems do not know this fact and allow Satan to work freely on people.

Isn't this ridiculous ?

8. Sep 12, 2003 #7
    maybe after 1000 years he finally changed his lawyer....

9. Sep 12, 2003 #8
  10. Sep 12, 2003 #9
    Yes, it is. I'll make an atheist out of you yet!

11. Sep 13, 2003 #10
    Maybe it was done so the world wouldn't be so goody two-shoe and boring? Conflicts is what makes the world so lively and fun.

The question I ask is why are we punished for following the evil that god himself has created? If this is so, shouldn't we be punish for following the good that he created also?

12. Sep 15, 2003 #11

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Probably a good answer...but it won't get people to think about their beliefs. :wink:

13. Sep 15, 2003 #12

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right. But since the Bible shows that God destroys things which displease Him, why not a fallen angel too?

14. Sep 15, 2003 #13

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Human nature is not enough? I don't think Judeo-Christian beliefs are such that all sin is due to a devil.

15. Sep 15, 2003 #14

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

16. Sep 16, 2003 #15

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

I continue to despair over seeing, on the one hand, diligence toward understanding science issues by members here, and on the other hand, such utter carelessness toward understanding the history of the God concept.

Tell me please . . .what possible excuse is there for sloppy scholarship in a science-oriented, public forum?

What I wouldn't give for some participation by members who've thoroughly studied the archeology, history, anthropology, literature, etc. of God belief, and who offer up for everyone actual, genuine, real informed opinions rather than the superficial knee-jerk opinionated crap prevalent here.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2003
  17. Sep 16, 2003 #16

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a charming sentiment. Too bad the position of atheism is just as logically flawed as the position of theism; belief in the non-existence of God has no more justification than belief in God. I'm all for questioning beliefs in the spirit of open discussion, but what amounts to nothing more than simple meme machines on either side of the equation are generally not very conducive to open discussion.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2003
  18. Sep 16, 2003 #17
    Actually there are people discussing these issues intelligently, although some of us would rather fight it out in the trenches I guess? And hey, don't forget to tell Brian I referred you. :wink:

http://www.comparative-religion.com

19. Sep 16, 2003 #18
    If you understood the spiritual implications here, that all outcroppings of evil are due to man's ignorance, and that yes, the Devil is in fact man (gone to hell), then human nature would suffice.

20. Sep 16, 2003 #19
    Too bad you don't actually know what Atheism means, or you wouldn't have posted teh way you did.

21. Sep 16, 2003 #20
    Uh huh...for instance, most respected Biblical scholars laugh at the idea of taking the Bible literally.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?