Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

'god' versus 'genes'

1. God created us!!!

3 vote(s)
  2. We just appeared.

4 vote(s)
  3. We have always been here.

1 vote(s)
  4. It was a banana that created us.

6 vote(s)
  1. Dec 19, 2003 #1
    hay all,
    what are your views on 'god vs genes'?

its just the more we follow science the more we move away from god.

the reason im asking is because i wanna know if there are still physicists out there who still believe in god.

i think that there never was a god in respect of the way religous people view him/her.

firstly, the main conception is that god made us in his image.

now through the docterine of the genome. we now know that we share about 60% of our genes with houseflies and around 45% with bananas.

so if a banana wants to talk to god, he comes in the form of a banana. yeah

now although i dont believe in a god as such. i do believe that there is a force out there which created our universe. i may be a man (unlikely), an invisible entity,a force we cant concieve.......or it may just be a banana

so what do you fellow scientific dudes (and dudettes) believe created our existense.

dont worry,this isnt some essay material or a culmination of different scientific/religous comparisons.

im just bored and i thought it would be fun to hear some of your personal thoughts.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2003 #2
    What's wrong with the idea that God created the gene, DNA, with built in instructions to evolve toward more complex life forms.
  4. Dec 19, 2003 #3
    This is a bit too religious, Kaspah. Physicsforums doesn't harbor religious threads.

Perhaps discussions of evolution, such as the one going on in the Biology forum, might interest you, though.
  5. Dec 19, 2003 #4
    Oh, and, welcom to the PFs, Kaspah. We're glad to have you, and hope you will continue participating :smile:.
  6. Dec 19, 2003 #5
    The more we learn about the wonders and complexities of the universe, the stronger I feel about the existance of God. That's why I voted that God created us.
  7. Dec 19, 2003 #6
    Well, while the thread still exists...why is this? Why does the beauty of the Universe cause you to believe it was created? Just a question, I'm not stating my opinion on the matter.
  8. Dec 20, 2003 #7
    I can give many reasons why a bannana created us but would any reason be reason enough?
  9. Dec 20, 2003 #8
    The fact that to believe in Devine Design or Creationism, you have to explicitly assume the hypothetical existence of a deity.

Other questions arise such as "what created God", "What created the creator of God", etc. etc. etc.

Primarily, the thing I find least appealing about "God created DNA" (and other supernatural explanations) is the fact that explaining things in terms of "god" effectively explains nothing.
  10. Dec 20, 2003 #9
    First, Origins of the Universe:
    Second, Origins of Life:
    (Source: JREF Messageboard Thread)

After the formation of life, you have quite a bit of Natural Selection and Evolution that gradually gives rise to humans. (I can go into lots and lots more detail if anyone needs me to do so.)
  11. Dec 22, 2003 #10
    do you want to suck on me banana??

from Mentat-
    Do you know about ANY history of science mentat. If it wasnt for religion, we wouldnt even have things like clocks, philosophy or even science.

You have to remember that it was the religious priests of the 17th,18th and 19th century that developed what was to become physics. (although they didnt all mean it)

Even though i dont believe in religion myself i still respect the work that religion has done to create our world the way it is just now.

now dont start writing about wars and sh!t that were caused by religion because any subject ALWAYS has good and bad sides. it all depends on whether the good outweighed the bad for that subject and i can definetely say that religion has done the world better but now we know all we can know from religion. its time for us as a worldly community to move on from there and get to the real world.

Religion is only a stepping stone in a road to know exactly what we are -
  12. Dec 22, 2003 #11
    Except, perhaps, the prophecies and historical accuracy of the Bible...but my big question is why in the world is your username "Yahweh", if you don't believe in a god?
  13. Dec 22, 2003 #12
    Re: do you want to suck on me banana??

I know this very well, but that doesn't change the fact that they are now completely seperate entities. They've lost almost all of their ties, and one of them is discussed on the PFs, while the other is not.

So do I...I just don't discuss it here, if I can avoid it.
  14. Dec 23, 2003 #13
    Actually, I think the poll is a bit incomplete in its choices... so I clicked the "bannana" choice.... it's about as likely as "god created us."

I take it back. It's more likely than the god answer. I've seen a bannana ;)

I think you should have included a choice that said something about billions of years of evolution.

"Just appeared" is probably what you relate to this, but that choice was too simplistic for a process that took much trial and error over such a long period of time.

He who takes the name of god (Yahweh) said it best so far... when talking origins, there is a lot to say in science. I recommend Richard Dawkins' work, starting with The Selfish Gene.

Anthropologically though, religion is a fascinating subject. I'm always amazed at what lengths people go to when they are consumed by their beliefs, or that beliefs can consume people to such degree.
  15. Dec 23, 2003 #14
    Mentat im curious as to what the objection was again about this thread? because im looking all over this piticular forum and it seems almost everything under metaphysics is in relation to god.. or atleast half of them?
  16. Dec 24, 2003 #15

god is nothing more than an easy way of defining something greater than we can concieve. we may only be the coalesence of several bits of energy. is the original source of that energy god? what of the energy that spawned that god? etc. etc.

more importantly, why do we require a beginning? there is no time, therefore, thinking outside linear terms, we have always been.

can you concieve of a time when you didn't exist??????
  17. Dec 26, 2003 #16
    Yes, I know...this is an unfortunate circumstance (since Greg was rather clear about not posting religious threads on the Forums), but I guess some are allowable.
  18. Dec 26, 2003 #17
    Religious threads and threads about god are not necessarily the same things.
  19. Dec 26, 2003 #18
    I don't think this is a reason for your belief. I think this is a product of your belief. Because a person who believes in god will read the explanations of science and think that they explain nothing with regards to genesis. How something is adequately explained depends mostly on a predisposition about how nature works and how things are revealed in that nature.
  20. Dec 27, 2003 #19
    Best character ever written in Fantasy-Fiction. Go Yahweh!
  21. Dec 27, 2003 #20
    One thing I've learned in my life:

There are just some people who choose to believe things based on their firm inner convictions, and not based on the evidence presented to them.

Just a thought to ponder...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?