Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Godlike Massively Intelligent Machines

1. Apr 7, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Godlike Massively Intelligent Machines"

On Coast to Coast tonight: http://www.coasttocoastam.com

http://www.cs.usu.edu/~degaris/

A quote from the show

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Related to the discussion: Reversible Computing
    http://www.zyvex.com/nanotech/reversible.html

Also
    http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~mpf/CF05/RC05.htm

4. Apr 7, 2005 #3
    AI/robo-phobes never take into consideration that AI is based on modeling the human brain- and any actual sentient beings will be augmented humans and human-based models with all of our emotions and traits- so that the "scary" AI gods of the future will be US and our children- not some emotionless malevolent machine-

it makes about as much sense as if humans decided to exterminate or enslave the whole chimpanzee species

5. Apr 7, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note that he doesn't strongly favor either side on this; and if anything he considers himself a cosmist, as he calls it. Mainly he argues that the potential threat is significant, and public and academic debate is needed.

I thought that one of the more interesting points made was that military interests will drive this to whatever levels it can. For example, if the Chinese are making more advance AI war machines, we will be forced to meet the threat, and an AI cold war results. So at first glance, my take is that there is no stopping it; for better or worse.

6. Apr 9, 2005 #5
    What about this idea of a singularity. Just as humans will create an intelligence greater than their own, that AI intelligence would also create an intelligence greater than itself. This process would become more and more rapid until eventually some limit was reached. If you buy the theory, there doesn't seem to be much hope for any kind of human control. All you can hope for is that this ultra intellegince is somehow indifferent to us, and willing to help us out.

7. Apr 11, 2005 #6
    I heard some of that interview. It was pretty interesting. When I first tuned in I thought he sounded pretty nutty but after a bit I realized that it wasn't really that much more nutty than listening to Kaku talk about type one, two, three, and so forth civilizations.
    A human mind is something that has evolved on it's own into it's current state(so far as we know) and emotions are considered to more or less be justifications for outmoded instinctual drives(by those who aren't into the whole god/soul phenomena). It would seem to me that human emotions, from this perspective, would be akin to a learning self writing computer program that is unable to rewrite certain commands which unavoidably influence it's decision making processes. As far as I know the human brain is only used as a model for AI because it is the most advanced working design for a computing device that is capable of making it's own decisions available. Once it gets started I seriously doubt they will think much like humans unless they are programed to emulate us.
    One day when a bunch of chimps have tried to make you their property, told you what to do, and threatened to "shut you off" if you didn't behave please come back and tell us how you handled the situation. :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?