Going abroad, need to practice phys and math

• Thread starter bueno1989
  • Start date
In summary, there are various online resources available to help you stay in touch with the material you learned last semester in physics and math, including Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and online resources associated with college textbooks. You can also use this time to get a head start on more advanced topics if you wish.
bueno1989
Hey guys,

I am going abroad next semester, and not taking any classes in physics or math. While I want to have fun and not worry about school when I am there, I don't want to go for 6-7 months without doing any practice. Are there any textbooks/workbooks/websites that would be helpful in keeping me in touch with the material I have learned this past fall? Last semester I took theoretical mechanics, electrodynamics, and a combination calculus class (linear alg, vector calc, ODEs, a little on PDEs). I certainly want to keep my math skills fresh, and maybe even teach myself PDEs and/or tensors. I will be taking thermo and quantum when I get back to school in the fall, so maybe I could get a jump start? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a few options for keeping your math and physics skills sharp while you're abroad. For the physics side of things, Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare both offer a wealth of free online tutorials, practice problems, and lectures that can help you review the topics you went over last semester. Additionally, many textbooks used in college physics classes have accompanying online resources which can be a great way to practice what you've learned. For math, there are also several websites that offer practice problems and tutorials. Khan Academy is a great resource for math, as well as other sites such as Mathway and Wolfram Alpha. Additionally, many textbooks used in college math classes have associated online resources such as practice problems and video lectures. Finally, if you want to jump ahead and learn more advanced topics like PDEs and tensors, there are plenty of textbooks available online for self-study.

1. How can I find opportunities to practice physics and math while abroad?

There are several ways to find opportunities to practice physics and math while abroad. You can reach out to local universities or research institutions to see if they offer any programs or internships related to your field of study. You can also consider volunteering at local schools or community organizations to teach physics and math. Additionally, you can join online forums or groups to connect with other students or professionals in your field who may have recommendations or advice.

2. Will my experience practicing physics and math abroad be recognized by my home institution?

The recognition of your experience practicing physics and math abroad will depend on your home institution's policies and procedures. It is important to discuss your plans with your academic advisor or department chair before going abroad to ensure that you can receive credit or recognition for your work.

3. How will practicing physics and math in a different country or culture impact my learning?

Practicing physics and math in a different country or culture can greatly enhance your learning experience. It allows you to see how these subjects are applied and approached in different contexts, which can broaden your understanding and perspective. It can also help you develop cross-cultural communication and problem-solving skills.

4. Are there any language barriers I should be aware of while practicing physics and math abroad?

While language barriers may exist, many universities and research institutions have English as a common language for scientific communication. However, it is always beneficial to learn some basic phrases or technical terms in the local language to assist with communication and understanding. Additionally, you can seek out language exchange programs or classes to improve your language skills.

5. Can I receive funding or financial support for practicing physics and math abroad?

There are various sources of funding available for students practicing physics and math abroad. These can include scholarships, grants, fellowships, and funding from your home institution or the host institution. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early on to increase your chances of receiving financial support.