1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Going back after a 3 year break

1. Aug 2, 2016 #1
    I recently got decent job and that allowed me to go back to college and finish my physics studies. I stopped half way into a bachelor degree. I admit I forgot half of what I knew 3 years ago when I took a break. So, do you have any advice on how to do parallel work/college thing? If you have some good books mostly on mathematics - integrals, Fourier transform, differential equations. And some books in classical mechanics.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2016 #2
    If you can get a hold of Boas's Mathematical Methods, that would probably be sufficient to refresh your memory on the mathematics you haven't used in a while.

4. Aug 2, 2016 #3
    I went back after 10 years. I just took the lower division physics over pretty much. I'm sure you don't want to do that. I'd say whatever classes you're taking read up on the lower division stuff that you're supposed to know already. Use your old books if you still have, if not just go to the school's library, they should have some old editions.

I work on the weekends and go to school during the week. Although I work 12 hour night shifts so the pay is good, flipping my sleep schedule every week is a nightmare though.

For math stuff I like Kreyznig's Advanced Engineering Mathematics, it's a very good reference I've found. Boas is also good as the person before me said.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted