1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions Going back to Grad School after working

1. Aug 21, 2016 #1
    Hi Everyone,

I have a double B.S. in physics and math from UMD. I graduated in 2012, and have since worked
    primarily in tech startups. I am considering going back to school to get a masters, likely in applied math or something computationally intensive.

My concern is that I have no academic references for an application, only professional contacts. I have taken two classes through the Harvard Extension School, and got B+'s in both. I am considering doing their Masters in Software Engineering. One instructor could be a reference, although we don't have a personal working relationship.

I'm curious to hear if anyone knows of programs which are especially interested in people coming back to academia with work experience? I know of several universities that have Schools of Professional Studies, but I am hoping for something more research based.

My profile looks something like this:

Undergrad GPA: 2.95
    Extension School GPA: 3.4
    Grad Courses: Machine Learning, Applied Monte Carlo Methods
    GRE General (V/Q/A): 162/161/73

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted