Crippling Anxiety Over Finals: Calc-Physics

In summary, the person's finals are coming up and they are worried about one class, calc-physics. They are worried because they have done well in the other classes, but they have a bad feeling about the final. They worry about whether or not they will get a C. They say that if they are like two percentge points away from a B, then they should talk to their professor. They also say that if someone does poorly on an exam, it is usually because they have not done the material well, and that grades should not just be altered because someone needs a higher mark to get into a certain college.
Winzer
Ok so finals are over for me. I know I got an A in macro-econ, A in Calulus, and an A in Chem II. There is just one class I am worried about, calc-physics. I always did my homework, got a B on the first test, and an A on the second exam. The problem was I think I choked on the final.
I have already been accepted to a transfer elsewhere but it is dependent on me not getting a C! It is driving me insane! I can't even get a good nights sleep! I am just so worried!
Sorry I just had to get it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
If u got an A on the first exam and a B on the second or vice versa, I don't see how you can screw up the final so bad that you don't get a C.

Are there no curves in the class or what?

That is just the thing, I just can't get a C. Yes there is a curve.
The homework is 1/3 the grade. Each exam is 1/6 making it 1/3 for the two. And the final is 1/3! I just hope to god I don't get C.
It just doesn't seem fair that I worked pretty hard in the class always doing the homework, doing good on the exam then I choke on a final.
I also worked hard in my other classes as well. If I get a C, all my work was in vain and I won't be able to transfer.

Last edited:
waiting for test marks suck :(

especially when they count for more than usual

my sympathies.

And an hour before the Phy final I had a two and half hour Chem II final!

Why is a "C" in one class the kiss of death?

Because I won't get my transfer

Well at least that's a good reason for worry. Better than "I've never gotten a C in my life!"

Good luck! :)

What if I am like two percentge points away? Or something really close? Do you think if I talked to my Prof. he would possibly bump it? I have a feeling I am going to be very close to a B.

Not that I really advocate such a thing because 1) its kinda shady and 2) people should still earn what they get... BUT! Before my final for a community college class I was going to transfer, the instructor said, "if you're transfering this class, write that at the top of your exam." To me, that is code for "If you're not doing well, I'll give you a good enough grade for it to transfer"

I guess what I'm saying is that it wouldn't hurt to ask. If you're doing ok and just had a bad exam I would certainly consider it if I was an instructor :)

Mororvia said:
Not that I really advocate such a thing because 1) its kinda shady and 2) people should still earn what they get... BUT! Before my final for a community college class I was going to transfer, the instructor said, "if you're transfering this class, write that at the top of your exam." To me, that is code for "If you're not doing well, I'll give you a good enough grade for it to transfer"
But that defeats the point of the exam. Why didn't he just send a piece of paper round the class asking students to write down the grade they want? If one does badly on an exam, then there's a reason for it, and grades shouldn't just be altered because someone needs a higher mark to get into a certain college. Quite frankly, teachers doing something like that just makes a bad name for the college, and makes a qualification gained under such a system worth little more than the paper it is written on.

Agreed. It is not a good idea.

As an aside, typically grades don't transfer, only the credit. So if you really are not doing well it would probably be in your best interest to retake it somehow. You could do poorly in a future class that depends on this one.

Anyway, many times I do better after an exam I feel unsure about than ones I feel confident about. Maybe its the same for you and this won't be an issue.

Good luck!

Mororvia said:
Agreed. It is not a good idea.

As an aside, typically grades don't transfer, only the credit. So if you really are not doing well it would probably be in your best interest to retake it somehow. You could do poorly in a future class that depends on this one.
I've found that before-- modules I've just crammed for, and done really well on the exam in, come back to haunt me in later years when it is all "assume knowledge." However, I don't really know what your education system is like, but it sounds to me like you should definitely review the work before next year.

Anyway, many times I do better after an exam I feel unsure about than ones I feel confident about. Maybe its the same for you and this won't be an issue.
Plus, there is absolutely no point in worrying about it. I'm sure you'll be fine, but if not, there will be many paths that you can consider taking. Don't think about those until you get your results though. If your exams are over, then just enjoy yourself for a while!

cristo said:
I've found that before-- modules I've just crammed for, and done really well on the exam in, come back to haunt me in later years when it is all "assume knowledge." However, I don't really know what your education system is like, but it sounds to me like you should definitely review the work before next year.

Plus, there is absolutely no point in worrying about it. I'm sure you'll be fine, but if not, there will be many paths that you can consider taking. Don't think about those until you get your results though. If your exams are over, then just enjoy yourself for a while!

True, I have been stressing too much-I have calmed down a little. I was at work and thinking of almost every outcome. If I get a C and rejected for a transfer, do you think I can retake the class and reapply?
Another question also arises. I goto a four year college. If I continue to get good grades, I could basically transfer anywhere I want(within reason), right?

Ok, so I guess I did not do as bad as I thought on the final. I landed a B in the class-even though I did not reach my goal of an A. But it is such a load off, I now get my transfer!:biggrin:

Winzer said:
Ok, so I guess I did not do as bad as I thought on the final. I landed a B in the class-even though I did not reach my goal of an A. But it is such a load off, I now get my transfer!:biggrin:

See, I told you you'd do fine. People always do better than they think they have done. Well done!

congrats :)

Winzer said:
Ok so finals are over for me. I know I got an A in macro-econ, A in Calulus, and an A in Chem II. There is just one class I am worried about, calc-physics. I always did my homework, got a B on the first test, and an A on the second exam. The problem was I think I choked on the final.
I have already been accepted to a transfer elsewhere but it is dependent on me not getting a C! It is driving me insane! I can't even get a good nights sleep! I am just so worried!
Sorry I just had to get it out.

What is your gpa?

Its is like a 3.8/3.9, something like that. Why?

Winzer said:
Its is like a 3.8/3.9, something like that. Why?

That is not very bad. I don t think you have problems getting into the university.

Not very bad! It's not bad at all!

1. What causes crippling anxiety over finals in subjects like Calculus and Physics?

Crippling anxiety over finals in difficult subjects like Calculus and Physics can be caused by a combination of factors such as high expectations, fear of failure, lack of preparation, and overwhelming workload.

2. How can I manage my anxiety during finals in these challenging subjects?

To manage anxiety during finals in subjects like Calculus and Physics, it is important to practice self-care, break down the material into smaller chunks, seek help from professors or tutors, and stay organized and focused.

3. Is it normal to feel anxious before finals in tough subjects?

Feeling anxious before finals in tough subjects like Calculus and Physics is completely normal. It shows that you care about your academic performance and want to do well.

4. Can anxiety affect my performance on finals in these subjects?

Yes, anxiety can definitely affect your performance on finals in challenging subjects like Calculus and Physics. It can lead to difficulty concentrating, memory lapses, and even physical symptoms like sweating and shaking.

5. What are some tips for studying for finals in subjects like Calculus and Physics?

Some tips for studying for finals in subjects like Calculus and Physics include starting early, practicing with past exams and problems, seeking help from classmates or professors, and finding a study method that works best for you.