Going for a degree late in life

• Programs
  • Thread starter |2eason
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree Life
In summary: Then, I would try to get into a good university as soon as possible. There are many paths you can take, and you'll only know which one is right for you once you try them all.In summary, this person is considering going back to school to get a degree in physics or computer science. They are unsure about the long-term prospects, but feel that they have a good chance of being successful.
|2eason
Hi, for some time now I have been considering having a crack at a degree. At this stage I'm not entirely sure what type of degree. I would either choose physics for the sheer enjoyment of it, or comp sci and software engineering out of both interest and career prospects. The reason I don't think physics will lead to a career for me is basically because I don't think I'm smart enough, but it all depends on how well I do in the coming years.
You see, I dropped out of college(UK college this is, so A-levels) mainly because of lack of commitment, confidence and well, I needed a full-time job. I've now been working for some 8 years in a job I despise and have no interest in progressing in. Through-out the eight years, my interest in both physics and computing hasn't wained and so I think it's about time I did something about it.
The problem is, I have a long road ahead of me. I'll have to redo some GCSE at evening school for a year (english mainly, I aced science and math, but I may redo math for a refresher), and then I'll have to do another year or two at evening school for A-levels (obviously physics, maths, comp sci). Only then will I have both the money and qualifications to goto uni and do a degree.

My question is, is it all really worth it, considering I will be approaching 35-40 by the time I'm done?
I seriously doubt I'll be employable, as other potential employee's would be far younger and be a better investment than I would.
I would, as I said, consider doing it just for fun. But as I'm on only a mediocre wage (propably low wage by most standards), doing a degree would leave me in a very bad situation as far as pension etc is concerned.

It's funny, I've had eight years to think about this, but I'm still in two-minds about the whole thing :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
The way I look at it is like this:

One day in the future (10 years, 20 years, whatever), you will wake up in the morning. You will feel much like you feel today, but you will have a few extra aches and pains. Where do you want to go to work that morning?

Whatever your answer is, start preparing for that future today. Nothing is impossible. The bumps and roadblocks in the road are placed there as a rite of passage. If you persevere and make it through the path, I believe you WILL be employable because people like underdog stories. However, if you don't forge ahead and try your best, you will wake that one day in the future hating yourself for not going for it.

I finished my PhD at age 35. I am having trouble now keeping as active at my academic job as younger people. But I used to be a meat lugger. That would have been even harder to keep up with.

One person is said to have observed, after being told they would be age XXX when they finished school: "well I'm going to be age XXX anyway; so its just a matter of whether I want to be XXX with a degree or without one."

mathwonk said:
One person is said to have observed, after being told they would be age XXX when they finished school: "well I'm going to be age XXX anyway; so its just a matter of whether I want to be XXX with a degree or without one."
That is the exact thing I told myself when I wondered whether I was "too old" to go back to school.

I say go for it. Personally, I'd try to finish my GCSEs and A-levels very quickly.

1. What is considered "late in life" for pursuing a degree?

There is no specific age that is considered "late in life" for pursuing a degree. It is a personal decision and can vary based on individual circumstances. Some people may consider going back to school in their 30s or 40s as late in life, while others may pursue a degree in their 50s, 60s, or even later.

2. Is it worth it to go for a degree later in life?

Yes, pursuing a degree at any age can be a valuable and fulfilling experience. It can open up new career opportunities, increase earning potential, and provide personal growth and satisfaction. Additionally, many universities and employers value the determination and dedication shown by individuals who choose to pursue a degree later in life.

3. Will I be able to keep up with younger students?

Age should not be a barrier to pursuing a degree. While it may take some time to adjust to the academic environment and technology, many universities offer resources and support for non-traditional students. Additionally, older students often bring a wealth of life experience and unique perspectives to the classroom.

4. Can I balance a degree with other responsibilities, such as work and family?

Yes, many people successfully balance obtaining a degree with other responsibilities. It may require good time management skills and a supportive network, but it is possible to work and take care of family while pursuing a degree. Online and part-time programs also provide flexibility for individuals with busy schedules.

5. Will I be able to find a job after graduating at an older age?

While age discrimination can be a concern, many employers value the skills and experience that older graduates bring to the table. It is important to highlight your unique qualifications and showcase your determination and dedication to pursuing a degree later in life. Networking and internships can also help with finding employment opportunities.