1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Going from a complex rep to a real rep

1. Jan 17, 2007 #1
    Not sure if this is appropriate here or the differential geometry forum, but anyway....

I've got a Kahler potential and from that can compute it's metric and then move onto the dynamics of the fields which the potential is a function of. One of the terms I consider is [tex]K_{a\bar{b}}\dot{\Phi}^{a}\dot{\Phi}^{\bar{b}}[/tex] where [tex]\Phi[/tex] is a complex field.

Now instead of considering the complex metric [tex]K_{a\bar{b}}[/tex] I want to go a point of view involving just real fields, though obviously twice as many. Papers I've read and books I've flicked through just seem to say "And [tex]G_{ij}[/tex] is the metric associated with the real representation of the Kahler potential" or words to that effect. Problem is, I'm not sure how to compute it, but have a guess by the following logic :

Let K be a function of n complex fields [tex]\Phi[/tex] and so by definition of metric :

[tex]ds^{2} = K_{a\bar{b}}d\Phi^{a} d\Phi^{\bar{b}} = G_{ij}d\phi^{i}d\phi^{j}[/tex]

where [tex]\Phi^{a} = \phi^{a} + i\phi^{a+n}[/tex]. Putting that into the Kahler form gives

[tex]K_{a\bar{b}}(d\phi^{a} + id\phi^{a+n})(d\phi^{a} - id\phi^{a+n}) = K_{ab}d\phi^{a}d\phi^{b}+K_{ab}d\phi^{a+n}d\phi^{b+n} = G_{ij}d\phi^{i}d\phi^{j}[/tex]

Matching efficents of [tex]d\phi^{i}d\phi^{j}[/tex] gives [tex]G_{ab} = K_{ab} = G_{a+n \, b+n}[/tex]

This then gives the general form

[tex]G_{ij} = \left( \begin{array}{cc}K_{ab} & 0 \\ 0 & K_{ab} \end{array} \right) [/tex]

This seems to make sense, is it correct?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted