Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Going Green

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    What are you doing/using in your daily life to help the enviroment?

I have EnergySaver appliances. Use GE Smart Bulbs. Plant a small garden every year. Use Seventh Generation products. Recycle everything I can. Walk to destinations as much as I can.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2008 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't eat beef, or pork.
    Recycle when I can.
    I'm walking everywhere right now!
    I re-use my paper and then recycle. I'm using my thesis rough draft as rough paper right now actually. It's like I'm double recycling.
    I don't watch TV.
    I have plants in my room.
    I use 30-40 watt bulbs. (I won't blow money on those GE bulbs that cost much more.)

I don't really know much more.

4. May 13, 2008 #3
    I buy offsets.

5. May 13, 2008 #4
    I walk whenever I can.
    I use energy efficient bulbs.
    I reuse containers when I can.
    I recycle aluminum cans.

6. May 13, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We just bought a push-mower. It's a pain in the neck, but it always starts :smile: .

We're switching from a traditional gas-burning furnace to a heat pump (but we're keeping the furnace for when it gets very cold).

7. May 13, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just wait until the neighbors complain about the height of the grass, then call the landlord, who does nothing about it, then the neighbors complain to the HOA, and the HOA secretary leaves a note on the door, to which I reply with the landlord's phone number and address. We've gotten it down to only one or two mowings a year. :rolleyes: (I don't mind the tall grass because it's filled with wildflowers too, and property is such a steep hill it's unusable land anyway, but apparently that's not what the HOA covenants require...but that's the landlord's problem, not mine, and the reason I rent rather than own here.) That reminds me that I need to explain this system to the new neighbors (so they know I'm not the one responsible for mowing the grass and don't get mad at me).

8. May 13, 2008 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A friend discovered HOA facists when he moved to the USA.
    Solution was to abandon the lawn to local weeds, then identify each weed and put a little label naming the species on it - then claim that they were all protected wildflowers

9. May 13, 2008 #8

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I use mostly fluorescent saver bulbs, do waste sorting and recycling and I plan to work on weapons of mass destruction :approve:

(for the totally humorless, the last part is a joke).

10. May 13, 2008 #9

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you bake pizza on a heat pump :confused: :redface:

11. May 13, 2008 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have always conserved without ever thinking about it. I don't waste water. Unless I have something I'm holding under the running water, I turn it off. I like it dark, so there is very little light on where I live, and only when I am in the room. At work I have made them remove half of the over head lights, they're too bright anyway. In the winter, I keep the heat at 65F and wear warm clothes. I don't run the dishwasher unless I have a full load, which rarely happens because I tend to wash dishes as I use them, and when I use it, it's the short cycle and no heat dry. I also don't run the washer or dryer for small loads and I wash my clothes in cold water. I have a small fuel efficient car and I shop on my way home from work at stores between my office and my house, with only a rare exception. If I run out of an item, I don't run to the store, I wait until my next scheduled trip. I take short cool showers. I reuse plastic containers that food comes in instead of buying new ones. I don't use my disposal very often, that is what the cat and dog are there for. I rarely use paper towels. If I could find a use for the hair my dog and cat shed, I'd probably be independantly wealthy.

12. May 13, 2008 #11
    Good one! my GF is always yelling at me to turn off the water

13. May 13, 2008 #12

Evo

Smart girl!

14. May 13, 2008 #13
    I'm not very environmentally conscious but there are a few things I do.
    I try to buy used books, they're cheaper and environmentally friendly, but unfortunately I can not always find what I want in a used book store.
    I try not to drive around alot and I always walk places that are near by.
    I reuse my water bottles. Ever since I was taught as a kid to cut those plastic rings that soda sixpacks come with it has become an ingrained habit. If I see one in someone elses trash even I'll pull it out and break it up.
    Ummm.. that's about it really. Like Evo I have a tendancy to conserve in various small ways just because of the way I am and not so much because I think of it. Short showers, reusing things, extending the usable life of things, ect..

15. May 13, 2008 #14
    Live in passive solar, straw bale house with in floor radiant heating and a woodstove.
    Recycle paper, plastic, glass and cans.
    Grow plants indoors and out. Outside we have mainly sagebrush and rabbitbrush for landscaping (low water, native)
    Drive a hybrid.
    Yeah, I'm to tired to figure the rest.

16. May 13, 2008 #15

russ_watters

That would be an oven. A furnace is what you use to heat your house.

17. May 13, 2008 #16
    Ha, pizza in a solar oven...ha ha...ha

18. May 13, 2008 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

High efficiency "Quadrafire" woodstove heat. 1-1/2 cords of wood, and 75 galllons of oil was our total heating bill this last winter. Gathered, cut and split wood myself, so include about a gallon of chainsaw gas for that. The wood was about 50% fallen and standing deadwood. The rest were trees in the neighborhood that friends asked me to cut down.

Clothes dryer is vented indoor. Here's the trick: put a nylon "knee stocking" over the hose, then point the hose into a 5 gallon bucket with a gallon of water at the bottom. No "dryer dust" at all. And you keep all that warm, moist air.

Umm... 90% CF bulbs in my house (a few incandescent for color balancing). I never water the lawn, and no fertilizer! (it makes the grass grow extra fast)

And I bike to work. And last summer I installed solar hot water panels on the roof, reducing our already low electric bills by 1/3.

And no, I do not believe I am doing anything that will save the environment. I'm doing it to save money.

19. May 13, 2008 #18
    Sounds like a reverse bong...

20. May 13, 2008 #19

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A gnob. yes. It's what it sounds like too.

21. May 13, 2008 #20

Evo

I was going to say I should be burning things, but isn't that what AGW advocates are against? Burning fuels are bad according to them. I used to use peat logs, but they are bad since they release C02 that was previously sequestered. Burning any oil, coal or peat is bad. I guess using recently dead wood is ok. But then you have the smoke.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?