Going Hypersonic: Flying FALCON for Defense

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) and the United States Air Force (USAF) are seeking contractors to build an unmanned hypersonic aircraft capable of reaching any point on the world map in about two hours. Though initially a creature of war, such an aircraft could eventually serve as a springboard into space, developing technology that could lead to a single-stage-to-orbit spacecraft"

http://space.com/businesstechnology/technology/darpa_falcon_030723.html

LURCH

Science Advisor
Yes, I was following the Hypersoar program pretty closely when the ptototype test engine got fragged. That was pretty dissapointing and I thought we wouldn't see hypersoar technology for a long time because of it.

I think it was less than a year later that the Australians flew the first successfull SCRAMjet. Can't say I'm thrilled about it being a millitary project, but I can't say I'm at all suprised, either. At least this should get the ball rolling again.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by LURCH
Yes, I was following the Hypersoar program pretty closely when the ptototype test engine got fragged. That was pretty dissapointing and I thought we wouldn't see hypersoar technology for a long time because of it.

I think it was less than a year later that the Australians flew the first successfull SCRAMjet. Can't say I'm thrilled about it being a millitary project, but I can't say I'm at all suprised, either. At least this should get the ball rolling again.
I have been reading this same article for about 25 years now.

Another example of a really long winded project. The National Missile Defense program, which still doesn't work, is at least 40 years old.

Hey, I have a theory on the Gulf II war. I think the Patriot III is a LAZER or similar energy weapon. Do you rememeber in Gulf I how we saw patriot after patriot launch at the incoming missiles; most of which really failed to stop the incoming? Did anyone notice that even though this was a front line defense for Kuwait that saw action, and that claimed 100% effectiveness, we never saw one Patriot III launch?

LURCH

Science Advisor
Well ain't this a coinkydink! Test-flight are slated to recomense sometime in http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/x43a_return_030728.html [Broken] .

I think NASA monitors this site and knows we were talkin' about 'em!:wink:

Last edited by a moderator: