Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Going Hypersonic: Flying FALCON for Defense

1. Jul 25, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) and the United States Air Force (USAF) are seeking contractors to build an unmanned hypersonic aircraft capable of reaching any point on the world map in about two hours. Though initially a creature of war, such an aircraft could eventually serve as a springboard into space, developing technology that could lead to a single-stage-to-orbit spacecraft"

http://space.com/businesstechnology/technology/darpa_falcon_030723.html

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2003 #2

LURCH

Science Advisor

Yes, I was following the Hypersoar program pretty closely when the ptototype test engine got fragged. That was pretty dissapointing and I thought we wouldn't see hypersoar technology for a long time because of it.

I think it was less than a year later that the Australians flew the first successfull SCRAMjet. Can't say I'm thrilled about it being a millitary project, but I can't say I'm at all suprised, either. At least this should get the ball rolling again.

4. Jul 27, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have been reading this same article for about 25 years now.

Another example of a really long winded project. The National Missile Defense program, which still doesn't work, is at least 40 years old.

Hey, I have a theory on the Gulf II war. I think the Patriot III is a LAZER or similar energy weapon. Do you rememeber in Gulf I how we saw patriot after patriot launch at the incoming missiles; most of which really failed to stop the incoming? Did anyone notice that even though this was a front line defense for Kuwait that saw action, and that claimed 100% effectiveness, we never saw one Patriot III launch?

5. Jul 28, 2003 #4

LURCH

Science Advisor

Well ain't this a coinkydink! Test-flight are slated to recomense sometime in October or November .

I think NASA monitors this site and knows we were talkin' about 'em!:wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?