Going into Medical Physics (UK)

In summary, the person has just received a 2:1 MSci in Physics and is considering going into Medical physics. They are aware that they would need additional training and possibly an MSc or PhD. They are wondering about job opportunities in the NHS and other career paths. The person explains that a 2:1 is an upper second class degree and explains the grading system in the US. They mention that there is a debate about grade inflation in the US and that some teachers curve grades.
neu
I've just got a 2:1 MSci in Physics and I weighing up my options. I'm seriously considering going into Medical physics for various reasons; although I've only done one medical physics module in my course. I've looked into it and I'd obviously have to do an additional training on a programme accredited by the IPEM (and maybe an MSc/PhD). I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the world of a medical physicist in the NHS or possibly other career paths.

The whole things a bit of a pipe dream at the moment, as my circumstances have changed very quickly, and I've only really considered this option recently, hence my ignorace.

Physics news on Phys.org
Out of curiosity, what does 2:1 mean?

Generally to work as a medical physicist the minimum education you'll need is an M.Sc. Jobs available to those with a bachelor's degree are usually at the level of physics assistant which involve a lot of routine QA duties.

Medical physics offers great career potential in my opinion as there's a decent balance between clinical duties (which translates into stable, well-paying jobs) and research. The road however is a long one.

A 2:1 is an upper second class degree.
>70% = 1
60-69% = 2.1
50-59% = 2.2
40-49% = 3rd

Is it different in the US? I thought it was the same.

neu said:
A 2:1 is an upper second class degree.
>70% = 1
60-69% = 2.1
50-59% = 2.2
40-49% = 3rd

Is it different in the US? I thought it was the same.

Nope. Different system. I'm not even sure the theoretical grades are equivalent.

We go on a (usually) four point GPA system. 2.0 (C = 70%) is "average", 3.0 (B = 80%) is "above average", 4.0 (A=90%) is "significantly above average".

We (U.S.) are fighting with grade inflation here, where some schools or individual teachers give way more A/B grades than is justified by student performance. Some of us actually monitor our class statistics and try to give appropriate A/B/C/D/F grades. I'm one of the ones that monitors carefully.

Are the grades curved?

In the US? Depends on the teacher/instructor. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. And what kind of curve and how it is applied can vary.

1. What is medical physics?

Medical physics is a branch of physics that applies principles and techniques of physics to the field of medicine. It involves the use of radiation, ultrasound, and other forms of energy to diagnose and treat various diseases and medical conditions.

2. How do I become a medical physicist in the UK?

To become a medical physicist in the UK, you will typically need a degree in physics, followed by a postgraduate degree or training in medical physics. This can be in the form of a master's degree or a specialized training program. You will also need to register with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and become a member of the Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine (IPEM).

3. What are the job prospects for medical physicists in the UK?

The job prospects for medical physicists in the UK are generally good. There is a high demand for qualified medical physicists in healthcare settings, including hospitals, cancer treatment centers, and research facilities. With advancements in technology and an aging population, the demand for medical physicists is expected to continue to grow.

4. What do medical physicists do on a daily basis?

Medical physicists in the UK have a variety of roles and responsibilities, depending on their specific area of specialization. Some common tasks may include using imaging techniques to assist in diagnosis, developing and implementing treatment plans for cancer patients, ensuring the safe and effective use of radiation therapy, and conducting research to improve medical imaging and treatment methods.

5. Are there any challenges to working as a medical physicist in the UK?

Like any profession, there are challenges that come with working as a medical physicist in the UK. Some common challenges include keeping up with advancements in technology and techniques, managing a heavy workload, and dealing with the emotional impact of working with patients who have serious medical conditions. However, many medical physicists find their work to be rewarding and fulfilling.