1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Going into more detail in Maths

Tags:
  1. Nov 29, 2015 #1
    Hello, I'm studying Mathematics, Applied Mathematics and Physics at something roughly slightly less detailed than a-levels (Leaving Certificate). The applied mathematics isn't a problem at all, and the "understanding" clicks properly for me. However, in mathematics I find that it sometimes comes down to memorizing methods than a true understanding. I don't want to go into college level detail, and we haven't started Calculus yet (we will be doing it soon). I'm just looking at general pointers for going into slightly more detailed mathematics, with more opportunity for understanding at roughly the A-level/High School level.

I've looked around and haven't seen anything specific to this, sorry if I'm wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you give an example where you feel you are memorising the mathematics without understanding?

4. Nov 29, 2015 #3
    It's not even like that, it's like I'm memorizing methods - I understand why they work but I just feel like I'm missing something. I don't know how to explain it. There was a piece in algebra to do with the minus b formula, where you use the -b2+4ac just to figure something out. I'll have a look for it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook