1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Going off to university

1. Nov 22, 2013 #1
    Going off to university :)

Hello everyone, I was browsing through the internet, and came upon this forum in hope you guys can lend me a hand :)! In the following year il be applying to university, and going to apply to physics. Now most of the university requirements recommend chemistry, but you don't need it to get accepted. Now I have a very tight work schedule, due to events that happened earlier in the year. I have come to ask, how important is chemistry in university physics? Is it a must I take it in high school? or pay more attention to advance functions and calculus, and physics?
    Note: I hope to go into astrophysics, or theoretical
    I know I literally just joined, but I hope that's not an issue, had no where else to really go for advice :(

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2013 #2

462chevelle

Gold Member

for any degree gen chem is a req at my school. and I would say that chem would help you fill in the gaps when it comes to thermo and elec and mag. and other subjects like these in physics. I have a friend that took quite a few chems before physics and he said if he hadn't taken chem he wouldn't have gotten a's in physics. but you may be different.

4. Nov 22, 2013 #3

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

If you didn't do it, and it isn't required for admission then you're fine. You will likely do some general chem classes at university. When you enroll in these chem classes it might be a good idea to read through the text and look up any information that is assumed to be known from high school--which isn't a whole lot in my experience.

5. Nov 22, 2013 #4
    Chem classes really help with physics. It's a shame chemistry is taught so badly at the introductory level.

6. Nov 22, 2013 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

+1.0

Take chem at university -- no need to spend time on it beforehand, IMO.

Welcome to the PF, BTW :smile:

7. Nov 22, 2013 #6
    Thank you for the welcome :)! And thanks for all the replies really means a lot getting feedback, considering I was receiving none before hand!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook