Finding the Final Velocity of a Box Sliding Across a Rough Surface

• Thread starter taveuni
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the final velocity of a box sliding across a rough surface. The initial velocity and coefficient of friction are given, and the work-energy theorem is used to determine the final velocity. However, it is noted that the force of friction should be negative in the equation, and the angle between the force and motion is 180 degrees. This explains the discrepancy in the calculated value for the final velocity.
taveuni
I am wondering if someone could guide me on this. I am getting a vf of 4.6m/s, which can't be right, considering vi is only 3.8m/s.

A box slides across a frictionless floor with an initial speed v = 3.8
m/s. It encounters a rough region where the coefficient of friction is
µk = 0.7. If the strip is 0.52 m long, with what speed does the box
leave the strip?

My thoughts:
F=µk*N=µk*g*m=6.867*m
vi=3.8 m/s

Using work-energy theorem:
F*d = .5*m*vf^2 - .5*m*vi^2
6.867*d*m = m*(.5*vf^2 - .5*vi^2)
m's cancel
6.867*.52 + .5*vi^2 =.5*vf^2
3.4335 + .5*(3.8)^2 =.5*vf^2
(3.4335 + 7.22)*2=vf^2
sqrt (21.307) = vf
4.62 = vf

Ridiculous. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
taveuni said:
My thoughts:
F=µk*N=µk*g*m=6.867*m
vi=3.8 m/s

Because the force of friction is doing work against the motion, it should actually be:

-F*d= .5mvf^2 - .5*m*vi^2

When calculating work, it's force*distance*cos(theta), where theta is the angle between the force and the movement. In this case, theta is 180 degrees, so cos(theta) = -1

Thank you so much.

taveuni said:
6.867*d*m = m*(.5*vf^2 - .5*vi^2)

Ridiculous. What am I doing wrong?

You must realize that, by definition, F.d is negative. The force is not in the direction of motion.

EDIT: Guess I was a bit late. ;)

I'm going to venture a guess and say that since you know that logically the object will slow down, vf will be less than vi, so in the work-energy equation you have, the right hand side would have to be negative to satisfy this condition. Hence the left hand side would have to be negative to make satisfy the equality. Also, since work = F*d*cos(theta) and theta here is 180 degrees since it is acting in the direction opposite of the motion. I'm not too sure on any of this, but when i put in a negative 3.43 i get a final velocity around 2.something m/s, which makes more sense

EDIT: Guess I was even later...

1. How do I cope with a rough spot in my life?

Everyone copes with difficult times differently, but some strategies that may help include seeking support from loved ones, engaging in self-care activities, and seeking professional help if needed.

2. How long will this rough spot last?

It's difficult to predict how long a tough time will last. It could be a temporary setback or a longer-term challenge. Remember to take things one day at a time and focus on finding ways to manage the situation in the present moment.

3. What can I do to feel better during a rough spot?

There are many things you can do to improve your well-being during a rough spot. This may include practicing self-care activities like exercise, meditation, or spending time in nature. It may also be helpful to talk to someone you trust about your feelings and seek support from a therapist or counselor.

4. How do I stay motivated during a rough spot?

It can be challenging to stay motivated during a difficult time, but setting small, achievable goals can help. It's also important to be patient and kind to yourself, and to acknowledge any progress or small victories you make.

5. Is it normal to feel overwhelmed during a rough spot?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel overwhelmed during a rough spot. It's important to recognize and acknowledge your feelings, and to seek support if needed. Remember to take breaks and practice self-care to help manage overwhelming emotions.