Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Going to have a exam please help me

1. Jun 28, 2004 #1
    Going to have a exam please help me :)

will the potential energy different between 99 oC water and 1 oC water ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2004 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes the potential energy is different as the hotter water has more thermal energy which manifests itself as faster vibration.

4. Jun 28, 2004 #3

Moe

That is kinetic energy, not potential energy.

5. Jun 28, 2004 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes that is true in terms of individual water molecules, but the water is effectively storing it as potential energy if it is thermally isolated. When considering stored energy of gas or liquid or solid (stored as in potential) you always consider the gravitational, thermal (or translational) and any kind of rotational and vibrational energy. In the case of the gas the pressure and volume also have an effect.

6. Jun 29, 2004 #5
    The question is too ambiguous. It does not provide the amound of water under each condition.

7. Jun 30, 2004 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thats hardly a necessary requirement. If you used a bit of logic and concluded he was talking about the same amount then a simple quantitative description would suffice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?