Geiger's Gold Foil Experiment: Exploring Atom Structure

In summary, the gold foil experiment suggests that matter may be made of smaller, point positive charges than was previously thought, and that this type of charge may be located almost at a point.
pvnrt
Hi, I'm confused a little about the gold foil experiment.
I tried to put myself in Geiger's shoes, the author of the experiment.
I'm firing alpha particles at a gold film, given that the plum pudding model is the pinnacle of human understanding of the atom, meaning I believe matter is made of indivisible particles - amorphous, negatively charged pieces of mass, containing electrons, which neighbour one another, why would I expect all the alpha particles to be able to pass through the gold relatively undisturbed rather than the vast majority of them bouncing off due to the multilayer obstacle of gold plum pudding atoms?

Physics news on Phys.org
At that time, they didn't think that matter contained any atomic-sized, basically point, positive charges (that also contained a relatively sizable mass) that would be able to repel or scatter the alpha particles. If the positive charge were more uniformly distributed, (as in the plum pudding model), the scattering would not occur. They also would not have guessed that these point positive charges would contain not only one positive charge, but in the case of gold, 79 positive charges, localized almost to a point. (It may also be worth pointing out that the scattering that occurs is due to electrostatic forces which are long range, (with inverse square law), rather than some kind of interaction due to the mass of the particles).

Last edited:
pvnrt said:
why would I expect all the alpha particles to be able to pass through the gold relatively undisturbed rather than the vast majority of them bouncing off due to the multilayer obstacle of gold plum pudding atoms?
It isn't clear what you mean here. You would (well, I would) expect some interaction and scattering for all incident particles if you assumed that the mass of the atom is spread about within the volume it appears to occupy, The actual experimental result was a surprise because it was only a tiny proportion of the particles that were affected to any degree. The model of all the mass in the centre was revolutionary but it was needed in order to explain the results.

Likes jerromyjon and Charles Link

1. What was Geiger's Gold Foil Experiment?

Geiger's Gold Foil Experiment was a famous experiment conducted by Hans Geiger and Ernest Marsden in 1909 to explore the structure of an atom.

2. What was the purpose of the experiment?

The purpose of the experiment was to test the prevailing model of the atom, known as the Thomson model, and to determine the structure of the atom.

3. How was the experiment conducted?

The experiment involved shooting alpha particles at a thin sheet of gold foil and observing the deflection of the particles as they passed through the foil.

4. What were the results of the experiment?

The results of the experiment were unexpected and groundbreaking. While most of the alpha particles passed through the gold foil, some were deflected at large angles, indicating that the atom has a small, dense, positively charged nucleus.

5. How did Geiger's Gold Foil Experiment contribute to our understanding of the atom?

The experiment led to the development of the Rutherford model of the atom, which proposed that the atom has a small, dense, positively charged nucleus surrounded by negatively charged electrons. This model revolutionized our understanding of the atom and set the foundation for modern atomic theory.