Efficient Goldbach Partitions Formula with Intuitive Reasoning

• Thread starter Marchal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    partitions
In summary, the formula (2) has a typo or is otherwise ill-posed. My approximations in (2.1) are off by a factor of about 2.245838. This causes the derivation of (2) to be wrong. Asymptotically, the ratio of g_alt/g_HL is not 1 but about 1.123. The first factor is 1 + O(1/log n), the third factor is 1 + o(1), and looks to drop off like 1 + O(1/log^2 n). The second factor is where the trouble comes from. I found that g_alt must be divided by 2*exp(-gamma)=1,12
Marchal
Gold Member
Intuitive reasoning has led me to develop a simple approximation, which contains factors different from those used in well knoen formulas. Numerically, "my" formula delivers results, which are almost as accurate, as Hardy-Littlewood`s with the Shah-Wilson correction.

Thanks in advance for any comments

Attachments

• Goldbach.pdf
    217.6 KB · Views: 860
Physics news on Phys.org
The formula (2) has a typo or is otherwise ill-posed. I trust from the parenthetical comment that the intent is

[tex]\frac12\pi(n)\prod_{3<p<\sqrt n}\frac{p-2}{p-1}[/tex]

Your approximations in (2.1) are off by a factor of about 2.245838. (I'll let you figure out where this came from.) This causes the derivation of (2) to be wrong.

Asymptotically, the ratio of g_alt/g_HL is not 1 but about 1.123. The first factor is 1 + O(1/log n), the third factor is 1 + o(1), and looks to drop off like 1 + O(1/log^2 n). The second factor is where the trouble comes from.

Thank you indeed, CRGreathouse, for signalling this error.

Using Merten's Theorem, I find, that g_alt must be divided by 2*exp(-gamma)=1,122918967...,
with gamma=0,577215664901... being Euler-Mascheroni's constant.

Then, g_alt will be asymptotically equivalent to g_HL

I'm now working on correcting the derivation of (2)

Best Regards - Marchal

Here is a revised version of my article.

Attachments

• Goldbach2.pdf
    657.5 KB · Views: 303
I wrote several paragraphs of response but the forum ate it, grr. In short: There are about two dozen errors in the first few pages, but they're mostly minor and correctable. By page 3 you use notations that are not only nonstandard but for which I can't even find any valid interpretation.

Unfortunately your use of ≈ rather than, say, ~ makes your statements non-testable (and even non-falsifiable in a Poperian sense).

Dear CBGreathouse

Thanks for reviewing my text with so much attention!.

In standard notation I should write

n[tex]\neq[/tex]0 (modp) (equation 2a)

q[tex]\neq[/tex]0 (modp) and q[tex]\neq[/tex]n (modp) (equation 2.2.1)

I changed the equivalence symbols, as you suggested (see attachment).

Did I miss uploading the file Goldbach3?

Attachments

• Goldbach3.pdf
    661.2 KB · Views: 293
1.2 still has issues. It's C_2 not C_HL and the "<= infinity" should be dropped. (There are rare cases where you want to write "< infinity" for clarity, but this isn't one and certainly "<= infinity" is just wrong.)

2a confuses me; what's the definition of g_alt? If this is supposed to be the definition you need = not ~ (or one of the defined-as symbols, if you prefer).

For congruences you need ≡ ≢ not = ≠ .

Have to go now; might look at p. 3 ff. later.

I still worked on page 3. Here it comes with corrections.

Attachments

• page 3.pdf
    273.9 KB · Views: 246
Please ignore my last message. Here comes page3-improved version.

Attachments

• page 3 improved version.pdf
    282.1 KB · Views: 250
2.2.2 is the first questionable part: you claim that one obtains asymptotic equivalence. (You mark it an estimate, but then write ~.) This heuristic has been well-known for hundreds of years, but a proof is lacking. This is what you'd expect if the primes fell 'randomly', but it's not clear that they do in an appropriate fashion.

Thanks, Greg. I fully agree. Besides, I suspect my deduction to be substantially erronous. I'll need some time to clarify the matter.
Until then
Marchal

Here I am again! For correct formula & deduction, see APPENDIX attached.

Attachments

• APPENDIX.pdf
    396.8 KB · Views: 265

1. What is Goldbach's Conjecture?

Goldbach's Conjecture is a famous unsolved problem in number theory that states every even number greater than 2 can be expressed as the sum of two prime numbers.

2. Why is Goldbach's Conjecture important?

Goldbach's Conjecture has been widely studied and has important implications in number theory and cryptography. It has also sparked interest in the study of prime numbers and their distribution.

3. What is a Goldbach Partition?

A Goldbach Partition is a way of expressing an even number as the sum of two prime numbers, which is the focus of Goldbach's Conjecture. For example, 10 can be partitioned as 7 + 3 or 5 + 5.

4. How many Goldbach Partitions are there for a given even number?

For any even number, there can be multiple Goldbach Partitions. For example, 10 has 2 Goldbach Partitions (7 + 3 and 5 + 5). It is still unknown if there is a limit to the number of possible Goldbach Partitions for a given even number.

5. Has Goldbach's Conjecture been proven?

No, Goldbach's Conjecture has not been proven yet and is considered one of the greatest unsolved problems in mathematics. However, it has been tested and verified for all even numbers up to 4 x 10^18, making it one of the most extensively tested mathematical conjectures.