Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Golden Birds UFO?

1. Apr 23, 2008 #1
    Golden Birds....UFO?

It's unidentified and it was in the sky....

Ok we were hanging out around 1130 outside the Engineering Buidling eating sum food we just got and just chillen talking about random stuff. All of a sudden we see these lights above the trees in a V-shaped pattern

At first they looked like birds but they were EXTREMELY bright and began switching around into insane patterns without losing linear velocity. They left very quickly and neither one of us have any Idea what they could be.

Anyone ever hear of such a thing?
    We refer to them as the Golden Birds.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2008 #2
    Well, there is 3 possible answers:
    1) They are, in fact, glowing, golden birds.
    2) Its actually UFO's.
    3) You are all on acid.
    (lol jk)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2008
  4. Apr 24, 2008 #3
    No No im just saying linear as opposed to angular velocity. lol sry. Well they are definently UFOs since i havent identified them yet lol.

I do however think there is a logical explanation other then strange alien technology
    im just wondering if anyone knows thinks that could appear in this way.

Also the objects looked relatively spherical, and behaved as tho they were on a long string, kinda like x-mas lights. But since they were atleast 50 ft away they would have to be relatively big orbs.

5. Apr 24, 2008 #4
    No acid btw! I just noticed you said that:rofl:

6. Apr 24, 2008 #5
    ooo and Also we did originally think they were birds but bc they could move left and right without decreasing there speed in the forward direction we are doubtful of this.

Also they were EXTREMELY bright... much brighter then any lightsouce on campus, but most likely not reflecting either since they glowed an amber/orangey color. Unless they were gold dipped birds. hehe

7. Apr 24, 2008 #6
    The sun reflects bright objects pretty brightly.

8. Apr 24, 2008 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They may have been military aircraft, or maybe even something as mundane as balloons.

9. Apr 24, 2008 #8
    Balloons seems pretty plausible. I doubt it was a military aircraft because there was close to 10 orbs in the formations which were moving rapidly around each other. It just wouldn't be safe for anyone in an aircraft to do. I'm liking the balloon explanation though.

10. Apr 24, 2008 #9
    No sun around it was 1130 at night. However balloons being extremely reflective
    (the shiny party ones) might explain what they were and if they were tied by a string then that would explain how they moved together at a constant speed despite twirling around eachother. However the whole being in V-formation for about a full 5 seconds (pretty long time for that velocity) worries me. I don't know how the balloons could go from a perfect formation to chaos without changing speed and without outside influence. I'd expect them to be consistently moving around and not staying in a rigid formation.

11. Apr 24, 2008 #10
    This is a very interesting topic. Perhaps, some very skilled model airplane pilots?^^ I, honestly, can not think about anything else, that is in the realms of rationalism, that they could be.

12. Apr 24, 2008 #11
    Wait, do you live in Phoenix?

13. Apr 26, 2008 #12

CEL

Fireflies are bright and fly erratically, changing direction of flight very quickly. At night it is difficult to estimate distances, so near small objects can be confounded with big distant ones.
    Communal reinforcement acts strongly in a group. If someone says he/she is seeing distant golden birds, the others will tend to see the same thing.

14. Apr 27, 2008 #13
    I doubt it would be fireflies, they would know if it was, they would be tiny, and they dont hold their light on for long, steady amounts.

15. May 1, 2008 #14
    A. Not Phoenix but NJ
    B. Fireflies maybe, All I can say is that to me they looked like they were across the lake and
    close to the trees (they disappeared when they went near the branches). Also even though it is hard to judge distances it is a fact that they slowly got closer to us and then left. So the distance they traveled is easy to see despite not knowing if they were far away for sure. If they were fireflies they must have been in a flying jar because they moved eratically but stayed within a certain radius and went from the horizon to as far as we could see until there were too many trees in the way.
    C. I still think the Balloon Idea is the most logical
    D. Neither of us actually believe they were birds that's what my friend called them and it's catchy (we thought they were at very first though).

16. May 1, 2008 #15

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Have you ever seen a military precision flying team and if so, can you compare the patterns you saw to the maneuvers they perform? What they do is pretty crazy and certainly doesn't qualify as safe.

17. May 1, 2008 #16
    lol not really but if that was a military team i'm even more freaked out then if it was a UFO because that would mean our military is flying little golden spheres.

I don't know what it was but I'm sure it was just sumkind of little manmade object. Some sort of flotsam i suppose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?