Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Golden Rule for Decays in Griffiths' Introduction to Elementary Particles ?

1. Mar 18, 2010 #1
    Golden Rule for Decays in Griffiths' "Introduction to Elementary Particles"?

Hello, I'm getting a bit bogged down in constant factors while reading Griffiths' "Introduction to Elementary Particles", 1st edition. In particular, I'm having problems with equation 6.15:
    d\Gamma = |M|^{2}\frac{S}{2\hbar m_{1}}\left[
    \left(\frac{c\, d^{3}p_{2}}{(2\pi)^{3}2E_{2}}\right)
    \left(\frac{c\, d^{3}p_{3}}{(2\pi)^{3}2E_{3}}\right)\cdots
    \left(\frac{c\, d^{3}p_{n}}{(2\pi)^{3}2E_{n}}\right)\right]\times

I've found some slides online at http://www-pnp.physics.ox.ac.uk/~libby/Teaching/Lecture4.pdf that discuss normalizing the wave function and phase space so it is Lorentz invariant, but this only explains part of my problem. What I still don't understand is:
    • Where do the [tex]c[/tex] in the numerators of the momentum terms come from?
    • Where does the [tex](2\pi)^{4}[/tex] term before the delta function come from?
    • Where did the [tex]\hbar^{3n}[/tex] in the density of states go? (The [tex]\frac{1}{(2\pi\hbar)^{3n}}[/tex] is responsible for the [tex]2\pi[/tex] factors in the momentum terms, right?)
    • Why doesn't the first fraction have [tex]m_{1}c^{2}[/tex] in the denominator?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted