1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Goldstein 2nd V 3rd Edition

1. Oct 12, 2004 #1
    Hello all,
    We are having a course on classical mechanics this year. I'm planning to buy Goldstein. There seems to be a quite a number of changes between the 2nd and 3rd eds. I think the 3rd has an intro' to non-linear dynamics. Even though that topic isn't included in the course, I am intrigued by the ideas behind fractals and chaos.

In your opinion, which edition is the better one?

Thanks in advance,
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2011 #2

Gold Member

Instead of creating a new thread and since my question is the same:
    I'm also planning to buy Goldstein's book but I doubt about the editions. I've read on Amazon that the 3rd has new chapters but also some chapters in the 2nd edition got removed in the 3rd.
    I need this book (I already have Landau's first tome) for an upper undergraduate course. I do not need to cover chaos theory in details.
    So... which edition do you recommend and why?
  4. May 21, 2011 #3

Science Advisor

How much am I bid for my first edition? :smile: No seriously, without having seen either the 2nd or 3rd the answer is obvious: go with the latest. Five years from now you'll be glad you did.
  5. May 21, 2011 #4

Gold Member

Ok thanks. I'm going to follow your thoughts unless someone else makes me doubt.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?