Goldstein 2nd V 3rd Edition

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Goldstein
In summary, the conversation is about choosing between the 2nd and 3rd editions of Goldstein's book on classical mechanics. The 3rd edition has new chapters and an introduction to non-linear dynamics, but also some chapters from the 2nd edition were removed. The participant is looking for recommendations on which edition to buy for an upper undergraduate course, and it is suggested to go with the latest edition for future benefits.
neutrino
Hello all,
We are having a course on classical mechanics this year. I'm planning to buy Goldstein. There seems to be a quite a number of changes between the 2nd and 3rd eds. I think the 3rd has an intro' to non-linear dynamics. Even though that topic isn't included in the course, I am intrigued by the ideas behind fractals and chaos.

In your opinion, which edition is the better one?

Thanks in advance,
Navneeth

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of creating a new thread and since my question is the same:
I'm also planning to buy Goldstein's book but I doubt about the editions. I've read on Amazon that the 3rd has new chapters but also some chapters in the 2nd edition got removed in the 3rd.
I need this book (I already have Landau's first tome) for an upper undergraduate course. I do not need to cover chaos theory in details.
So... which edition do you recommend and why?
Thanks.

How much am I bid for my first edition? :smile: No seriously, without having seen either the 2nd or 3rd the answer is obvious: go with the latest. Five years from now you'll be glad you did.

Bill_K said:
How much am I bid for my first edition? :smile: No seriously, without having seen either the 2nd or 3rd the answer is obvious: go with the latest. Five years from now you'll be glad you did.

Ok thanks. I'm going to follow your thoughts unless someone else makes me doubt.

I cannot definitively say which edition of Goldstein is better without knowing the specific needs and goals of your course. However, I can provide some general thoughts on the differences between the 2nd and 3rd editions that may help you make a decision.

The 2nd and 3rd editions of Goldstein both cover classical mechanics in depth, so either one would be a suitable choice for your course. The main difference between the two editions is the inclusion of topics such as non-linear dynamics, fractals, and chaos in the 3rd edition. These topics are not typically covered in a standard classical mechanics course, but they are important and interesting areas of study in physics.

If your course specifically includes these topics, then the 3rd edition would be the better choice for you. It will provide a more comprehensive and up-to-date understanding of classical mechanics. However, if your course focuses solely on the core principles of classical mechanics, the 2nd edition may be sufficient.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on your specific course requirements and personal interests. Consider the topics covered in both editions and choose the one that aligns best with your needs. Additionally, keep in mind that you can always supplement your textbook with additional resources to cover any topics that may not be included in your chosen edition.

What is the difference between the 2nd and 3rd edition of Goldstein?

The main difference between the 2nd and 3rd edition of Goldstein is the inclusion of new research and updated information. The 3rd edition also contains revised chapters and an updated bibliography.

Is the 3rd edition worth purchasing if I already have the 2nd edition?

It depends on your specific needs and research interests. If you are studying a topic that has been updated in the 3rd edition, it may be worth purchasing for the new information. However, if your research is not impacted by the updates, the 2nd edition may suffice.

What new research does the 3rd edition of Goldstein cover?

The 3rd edition covers new research on topics such as brain plasticity, neurodegenerative diseases, and the role of genetics in behavior. It also includes updated information on recent discoveries in the field of neuroscience.

Are there any major changes in the layout or organization of the 3rd edition?

Yes, the 3rd edition has been reorganized to improve the flow of information and make it easier for readers to understand complex concepts. The chapters have been revised and updated to reflect the latest research findings.

Can I access the 2nd and 3rd edition of Goldstein online?

Yes, both the 2nd and 3rd edition of Goldstein are available online for purchase or through academic databases. Some universities may also provide access to these editions through their library system.