Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Goldstein 2nd V 3rd Edition

1. Oct 12, 2004 #1
    Hello all,
    We are having a course on classical mechanics this year. I'm planning to buy Goldstein. There seems to be a quite a number of changes between the 2nd and 3rd eds. I think the 3rd has an intro' to non-linear dynamics. Even though that topic isn't included in the course, I am intrigued by the ideas behind fractals and chaos.

In your opinion, which edition is the better one?

Thanks in advance,
    Navneeth

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2011 #2

fluidistic

Gold Member

Instead of creating a new thread and since my question is the same:
    I'm also planning to buy Goldstein's book but I doubt about the editions. I've read on Amazon that the 3rd has new chapters but also some chapters in the 2nd edition got removed in the 3rd.
    I need this book (I already have Landau's first tome) for an upper undergraduate course. I do not need to cover chaos theory in details.
    So... which edition do you recommend and why?
    Thanks.

4. May 21, 2011 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor

How much am I bid for my first edition? :smile: No seriously, without having seen either the 2nd or 3rd the answer is obvious: go with the latest. Five years from now you'll be glad you did.

5. May 21, 2011 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok thanks. I'm going to follow your thoughts unless someone else makes me doubt.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook