1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Goldstein Derivation 1.6

1. Jan 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement

A particle moves in the ##xy## plane under the constraint that its velocity vector is always directed towards a point on the ##x## axis whose abscissa is some given function of time ##f(t)##. Show that for ##f(t)## differentiable but otherwise arbitrary, the constraint is NONHOLONOMIC.

2. The attempt at a solution
    I have got the differential equation relating the generalised coordinates (in this case they are ##x## and ##y## since the system has two degrees of freedom):

## ydx + [f(t)-x]dy = 0 ##

If the constraint equation is nonholonomic, then the previous integral can not be performed but it's true that it can be written as

## \displaystyle \int \frac{dx}{x-f(t)} = \int \frac{dy}{y}##

which, I think is an integrable expression in terms of logarithmic functions for any ##f(t)##. Some people say that the previous integral can not be performed in general due to the arbitrariness of ##f(t)##. Can anyone explain me why?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2016 #2

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you forgetting that t must be considered as an implicit function of x and y in your differential expression? That is, f(t) cannot be considered as independent of x and y.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted