What is the volume of the system when inserting the 4-velocity of the observer?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "inserting" a vector into a tensor's "slot" and the resulting contraction, as well as a typo in equation (13.73) of a textbook. It also delves into the physical dimensions of volume and how it relates to the energy-stress-momentum tensor and conservation laws.
StenEdeback
Homework Statement
I do not understand the mathematical formula under item 1. at all (and not the other items either).
Relevant Equations
The text says: "1. If we insert the 4-velocity u of the observer into one of the slots...". I do not understand at all. What does it mean that a tensor has "vector slots"? What does "dp/dV" mean? I would like to see the operation step by step.
I have attempted but with no result.

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not have read the book but as for vector slots I assume that a rank 2 tensor can be regarded as a 4X4 matrix and one of 4 columns or 4 rows is 4-velocity inserted.
As for dp/dV, what are p and V ? Is p momentum? Is V volume of something ?

Last edited:
Likes StenEdeback
After Goldsteins eq(13.72) he immediately gives (13.73) as the explicit-component version of the same equation. "Inserting" a vector into a tensor's "slot" means contracting the tensor with the vector. In (13.73), the "contraction" is the implicit summation over the index ##\beta##.

But note that there's a typo in (13.73), at least in my copy of the book. He writes $$T^\alpha_{~\beta} u^\alpha ~=~ T_\beta^{~\alpha} u^\beta ~=~ -\left( \frac{dp^\alpha}{dV} \right) ~.$$ The 1st term should have ##u^\beta##, not ##u^\alpha##.

Likes StenEdeback
anuttarasammyak said:
I do not have read the book but as for vector slots I assume that a rank 2 tensor can be regarded as a 4X4 matrix and one of 4 columns or 4 rows is 4-velocity inserted.
As for dp/dV, what are p and V ? Is p momentum? Is V volume of something ?
Thank you!

strangerep said:
After Goldsteins eq(13.72) he immediately gives (13.73) as the explicit-component version of the same equation. "Inserting" a vector into a tensor's "slot" means contracting the tensor with the vector. In (13.73), the "contraction" is the implicit summation over the index ##\beta##.

But note that there's a typo in (13.73), at least in my copy of the book. He writes $$T^\alpha_{~\beta} u^\alpha ~=~ T_\beta^{~\alpha} u^\beta ~=~ -\left( \frac{dp^\alpha}{dV} \right) ~.$$ The 1st term should have ##u^\beta##, not ##u^\alpha##.
Thank you! I thought so too, though I was a little bewildered by the typo. I will need to do the contraction to see the result. I have tried to do so in my head but not succeeded, probably because I was not sure what "inserting a vector into the slot of a tensor" really meant. Now I can proceed with a little more confidence, using paper and pen when doing the tensor contraction. I do private studies on my own, and sometimes I get stuck, at times for no good reason. Then Physics Forums is my last resort and very valuable to me. Thanks again!

Likes PhDeezNutz
strangerep said:
He writes T βαuα = Tβ αuβ = −(dpαdV) . The 1st term should have uβ, not uα.
Thanks to your quotes. So V has physical dimension of p/Tu, volume if c=1. What volume is it ?

Likes StenEdeback
anuttarasammyak said:
Thanks to your quotes. So V has physical dimension of p/Tu, volume if c=1. What volume is it ?
IIUC, ##V## by itself means the volume of the system, and ##dV## is an infinitesimal volume element, as one would find in an integral over some total volume. E.g., in eq(13.34) on p568, in a section about the energy-stress-momentum tensor and conservation laws, he illustrates with: $$R_\mu ~=~ \int T_\mu^{~0} dV$$as an example of an integral quantity which is conserved by virtue of a continuity equation.

In the exercise mentioned in the OP, we've switched to the relativistic case, so ##T_\mu^{~0}## is generalized to ##T^\alpha_{~\beta} u^\beta##. The idea is that an integral over the volume of the system gives the total energy-momentum (IIUC).

Likes anuttarasammyak and StenEdeback

1. What is the definition of volume in a scientific context?

Volume is a measure of the amount of space occupied by an object or a system. It is typically measured in cubic units such as cubic meters or cubic centimeters.

2. How is the volume of a system calculated?

The volume of a system can be calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of the object or by using the formula V = lwh, where V is the volume, l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height.

3. What is the significance of inserting the 4-velocity of the observer when calculating the volume of a system?

The 4-velocity of the observer is a measure of the observer's speed and direction in the four-dimensional space-time continuum. When inserted into the calculation of volume, it takes into account the observer's perspective and frame of reference, making the measurement more accurate and precise.

4. How does the volume of a system change when the 4-velocity of the observer is altered?

The volume of a system may change when the 4-velocity of the observer is altered. This is because the observer's perspective and frame of reference can affect the measurements of length, width, and height, thus altering the overall volume calculation.

5. Can the volume of a system be negative?

No, the volume of a system cannot be negative. Volume is a physical quantity that represents the amount of space occupied by an object or a system, and it cannot have a negative value. However, the volume can be zero if the object or system has no dimensions or occupies no space.