Calculating Negative Back Spin in Golf Ball Impact: A Sketch Guide

In summary, the calculation of negative angular velocity, or back spin, when a golf ball is hit by a lofted club can be determined by drawing a sketch of the impact and launch angles, assuming the angle of impact is equal and opposite to the launch angle. This creates a triangle with one side representing the initial linear speed, another representing the final linear speed, and the third representing the tangential or rotational speed. While this method has not been personally tested, it should theoretically work.
wdp
how can negative angular velocity (back spin) be calculated when the ball is struck by a lofted club?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't help, man. The only thing that I know about the angular velocity of a golf ball is that no matter how I hit it, it will always travel at least 35º tangental to the direction in which the hole lies.

Sketch it: draw the impact and launch angles, assuming angle of impact equals (equal and opposite) the launch angle. Since the impact point is not parallel to either the impact or launch directions, a triangle is formed, with one side being the initial linear speed, one being the final linear speed and the third being the tangential (rotational) speed.

I've actually never tried, so I'm not certain of this, but it should work...

1. What is angular velocity in relation to a golf ball?

Angular velocity is the measure of how quickly an object, in this case a golf ball, is rotating around a central axis. It is typically measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity involves the rotation of an object around an axis, while linear velocity is the measure of how quickly an object is moving in a straight line. Angular velocity is dependent on the radius of the rotation, while linear velocity is not.

3. What factors affect the angular velocity of a golf ball?

The factors that affect the angular velocity of a golf ball include the initial force or speed of the swing, the weight and construction of the ball, and external factors such as wind and air resistance. The surface and texture of the golf club and ball can also play a role.

4. How is angular velocity used in the sport of golf?

Angular velocity is an important concept in golf as it is a key factor in determining the trajectory, distance, and spin of a golf ball. Golfers can use their knowledge of angular velocity to adjust their swing and club selection to achieve their desired shot.

5. Can angular velocity be measured directly on a golf course?

No, angular velocity cannot be measured directly on a golf course. It can only be calculated using formulas and measurements such as the distance traveled and the time it took for the ball to reach its destination. Specialized equipment, such as launch monitors, can also be used to measure angular velocity.