Why Don't Car Makers Dimple Sheet Metal to Reduce Drag?

In summary, the question raised is about why car manufacturers do not use dimples on their vehicles to reduce air resistance, similar to how dimples are used on golf balls. It is mentioned that Lexus is now using this technique on the underside of one of its vehicles, but there are concerns about the practicality and aesthetics of applying dimples on the entire surface of a car.
Your name here
This is my first post on this site and I figured I would maybe get a good answer to this question. If the dimples on a golf ball are to reduce the amount of friction due to air resistance, why don't car manufacturers dimple the sheet metal on their cars to reduce coefficient drag?? Just wondering.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe Lexus is now doing it to the underside of one of it's vehicles. Since the vehicle is not spinning, I would think there would not be a need to dimple the entire surface of the vehicle, just where the aspect of a negative pressure gradient would want to cause separation of the BL (the rear side of the car). The dimpling would not be a good idea on the entire car for a couple of reasons I can think of:

1) Manufacturability would decrease i.e. it would be harder to make them.
2) The asthetics of the vehicle would be horrendous. The vehicle has to loog good or it won't sell.

Thank you for your question. I can provide some insight into why car makers do not dimple sheet metal to reduce drag.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the dimples on a golf ball are designed to reduce drag by creating a turbulent boundary layer of air around the ball, which reduces the wake behind the ball and allows it to travel further. This works because the golf ball is a small, smooth object moving through a fluid (air). In contrast, cars are large, complex objects with many components and surfaces that interact with the surrounding air in different ways.

Secondly, dimpling sheet metal on a car would not have the same effect as on a golf ball. The dimples on a golf ball are specifically designed and strategically placed to create the desired turbulent boundary layer. In contrast, dimpling sheet metal on a car would create an uneven surface that could actually increase drag and reduce the overall aerodynamic efficiency of the vehicle.

Additionally, car manufacturers already use various techniques to reduce drag, such as designing sleek and streamlined body shapes, using spoilers and diffusers to manipulate airflow, and incorporating aerodynamic features like air dams and underbody panels. These methods are more effective and efficient than dimpling sheet metal.

Furthermore, dimpling sheet metal on cars could also have negative impacts on safety and structural integrity. The dimples could weaken the structural integrity of the metal, making it more susceptible to damage in the event of a collision. It could also create air pockets that could potentially affect the stability and handling of the vehicle.

In summary, while dimples may be effective for reducing drag on golf balls, they are not suitable for use on cars due to their size, complexity, and potential negative impacts on safety and performance. Car manufacturers use other methods to improve aerodynamics and reduce drag, which have been extensively tested and proven to be more effective. I hope this helps to answer your question.

1. Why don't car makers dimple sheet metal to reduce drag?

There are several reasons why car makers do not dimple sheet metal to reduce drag. One reason is that dimpling can weaken the structural integrity of the metal, making it less safe for passengers. Additionally, dimpling can also increase wind noise and disrupt the smooth flow of air over the car, potentially decreasing its overall performance.

2. Can dimpling sheet metal really reduce drag on a car?

While dimpling sheet metal has been shown to reduce drag in certain applications, such as on airplanes, it may not be as effective on cars. Cars have a more complex shape and design compared to airplanes, and the dimples may not have the same impact on reducing drag. In fact, some studies have found that dimpling may actually increase drag on cars.

3. Are there other ways to reduce drag on cars besides dimpling sheet metal?

Yes, there are many other ways to reduce drag on cars without resorting to dimpling sheet metal. Some common methods include using aerodynamic designs, such as a sleek and streamlined shape, and incorporating features like active grille shutters and air dams to control air flow. Cars can also be made lighter and more fuel efficient through the use of lightweight materials and improved engine technology.

4. Do different types of sheet metal affect drag differently?

Yes, different types of sheet metal can have varying effects on drag. For example, smooth and polished metals may have less drag compared to rough or textured metals. Additionally, the thickness and shape of the sheet metal can also impact drag. In general, aerodynamic design and overall vehicle shape have a larger impact on reducing drag than the type of sheet metal used.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to dimpling sheet metal for reducing drag?

As mentioned earlier, dimpling sheet metal can potentially weaken its structural integrity and increase wind noise, which can negatively impact the car's performance and safety. Additionally, dimpling can also add extra weight and cost to the manufacturing process, making it less feasible for car makers to implement. Other methods of reducing drag may be more effective and practical for cars.