Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Golf ball cars

1. Aug 30, 2005 #1
    This is my first post on this site and I figured I would maybe get a good answer to this question. If the dimples on a golf ball are to reduce the amount of friction due to air resistance, why don't car manufacturers dimple the sheet metal on their cars to reduce coefficient drag?? Just wondering.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I believe Lexus is now doing it to the underside of one of it's vehicles. Since the vehicle is not spinning, I would think there would not be a need to dimple the entire surface of the vehicle, just where the aspect of a negative pressure gradient would want to cause seperation of the BL (the rear side of the car). The dimpling would not be a good idea on the entire car for a couple of reasons I can think of:

1) Manufacturability would decrease i.e. it would be harder to make them.
    2) The asthetics of the vehicle would be horrendous. The vehicle has to loog good or it won't sell.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?