1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Golf ball vector problem

1. Sep 26, 2004 #1
    A golf ball is hit off a tee at the edge of a cliff. Its x and y coordinates as functions of time are given by the following expressions.

x = (15.0 m/s)t

y = (2.00 m/s)t - (4.90 m/s2)t2

(a) Write a vector expression for the ball's position as a function of time, using the unit vectors i and j. (Use t, i and j as necessary.)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2004 #2
    You have all the information you need. v = a*i+b*j where i is the x direction and j is the y direction. a and b specify the magnitude of the i and j directions, respectively. I am not sure how to answer this question without just flat out telling you.

Say you have the cartesian point (3,4)

in vector form this is 3i+4j

4. Sep 26, 2004 #3
    yeah lol, got that one and the next couple, but having trouble with the next few:
    (a) Write a vector expression for the ball's position as a function of time, using the unit vectors i and j. (Use t, i and j as necessary.) Got this one
    r = correct check mark m
    (b) By taking derivatives, obtain an expression for the velocity vector v as a function of time. Got this one
    v = correct check mark m/s
    (c) By taking derivatives, obtain an expression for the acceleration vector a as a function of time. Got this one
    a = correct check mark m/s2

Don't get these :
    (d) Next use unit vector notation to write an expression for the position of the golf ball at t = 1.20 s.
    r(1.20 s) = ( m ) i + ( m ) j
    (e) Write an expression for the velocity at this time.
    v(1.20 s) = ( m/s ) i + ( m/s ) j
    (f) Write an expression for the acceleration at this time.
    a(1.20 s) = ( m/s2 ) j

5. Sep 26, 2004 #4
    lol nevermind, got them all

6. Sep 26, 2004 #5
    I think semantics are messing you up. All they're asking is using the formulae you derived, plug t = 1.20s into each of them: position for d, velocity for e and acceleration for f. Your previous equations should have told you what the i and j components will be at any time t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?