1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Golf ball

1. Sep 17, 2006 #1
    A golf ball is released from rest from teh top of a very tall building. Choose a coordinate system whose origin is at the starting point of the ball, and whose y axis points vertically upward. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. Neglecting air resistance , calculate the velocity of the ball after 2.84s. ANswer in units of m/s.
    ---ok basically i have tried this question about 3 times and each time i have gotten it wrong. The first two answers made absolutely no sense and the third answer i got was 185.3543
    this is how i did it:
    Vf= 9.8m/s^2(2.84s)^s
    = 60.27392
    then i did
    60.27392^2= 2(9.8 m/s^2x)
    i got 185.3543
    please reply asap i have no clue how to solve this- i thought i was correct but apparently not. what formulas should i use? How would i go about to getting the answer? THANKS SO MUCH
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2006 #2
    V = V_o + GT
    DeltaY = V_oT + 1/2GT^2
    DeltaY = Y_f - Y_i

V_o = 0
    Y_i = 0

G = -9.8

I hope that help.

It seem you made gravity 9.8 when it should be -9.8 since gravity is going down so it would be negative.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?