Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Golf

1. Mar 4, 2005 #1
    Personally, I think golf is probably the most mental of the other sports played in the US. Who agrees or disagrees?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2005 #2

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Head coach of an NFL team.
    Is there strategy in golf? I don't know much about it.

4. Mar 4, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think there's a real shame snooker's not too popular in the US.

Daniel.

P.S.Oh,and to answer your question:chess.

5. Mar 4, 2005 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Of course there is strategy in golf. Like when you tell your opponent 'You can make it over that lake easy with a 3 wood'.

6. Mar 4, 2005 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Oh, well I don't watch golf- that's why I asked.
    What's snooker?
    Isn't chess quite mechanical? I guess if you have time limits or something it would be harder...

7. Mar 4, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I thought people played golf to relax, not to concentrate. But, if golf is a mental sport, maybe bowling is too. :rofl:

8. Mar 4, 2005 #7
    If by mental you mean it will drive you mentally insane, then I agree with you. :tongue2:

Seriously though, I think the mental challenge of most games varies with the participant. Most golf hackers (myself included) tend to take a very rigid approach to the game: Ok, par 4, hit driver. Ok, 150 yards from the pin, 7 iron. Just off the green, pitching wedge. Pros like Tiger Woods may spend several minutes studying a shot because he has literally hundreds of shots to pull out of his repitoire. For me, the options on any given shot are something like 'hit it as hard as I can' -or- 'don't hit it quite as hard.'

9. Mar 4, 2005 #8

honestrosewater

Gold Member

How strange- I was thinking about bowling too. Just because it's another solitary sport.

10. Mar 4, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Something like billiards, but with smaller balls and a much bigger table. I've never seen it, just been told about it, so I hope I remembered that right.

11. Mar 4, 2005 #10

honestrosewater

Gold Member

:rofl:
    Hey, maybe I should start playing golf- I think I could handle that. Don't know what I would wear...

12. Mar 4, 2005 #11

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Snooker is a sport similar to pool,but played on a bigger table,with white ball,15 red balls (one point each) and colored balls:yellow 2 points,green 3 points,brown 4 points,blue 5 points,pink 6 points & black 7 points.

The rules are complicated.I can't really explain them.It's definitely a brain-requiring sport.And "touch"...

Chess is pure maths,ergo genius...

Daniel.

13. Mar 4, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For me, it's more like, "Should I go for the hole under the windmill, or the easy shot to the side?" Oh, you didn't mean that type of golf, did you? (I really like mini golf though, especially those "adventure" courses that look like pirate's ships and coves, etc. :biggrin: Yaaaahhhrrr!!).

14. Mar 4, 2005 #13

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Yes, I guess pool could be difficult- I've only ever played for fun.
    That's the point about chess- you don't have to account for nearly as much. You know all the possible future states of the board given the current state.

15. Mar 4, 2005 #14
    Rosewater, chess is a lot more about understanding the position than working it through mechanically. You can't begin to work things through until you understand what's going on. If it were only about mechanics then computers would have been beating humans in 1975.

On the other hand, chess is not pure math. Alan Turing was a mediocre chess player despite being a mathematical genius and studying chess.

16. Mar 4, 2005 #15
    Anyway, chess isn't a "sport"... you have to do something with your body for it to be a sport.

17. Mar 5, 2005 #16

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Okay, so how do you understand the position?
    Edit: It isn't by knowing the possible future states of the board?

18. Mar 5, 2005 #17
    You think about what you might do, and what your enemy can do, and who can bring force where, and what tactics might stay available for a few moves, and how "together" your position is... there are books on this kind of thing.

19. Mar 5, 2005 #18

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Okay, fair enough.

20. Mar 5, 2005 #19

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's obviously HOCKEY! :biggrin:

Who can argue that one? :uhh:

21. Mar 5, 2005 #20

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moonbear, snooker and billiards are played on the same size table, - 6' by 12', although a 10' by 5' table is often used. Pool has the small table, with big balls and massive pockets.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?