Golly, I wonder which way the snow is falling?

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Falling
In summary, every news agency sends a reporter outside to stand in the falling snow, and to emphasize how hard the snow is falling, what they always say is "It's really coming down out here!" This phrase is usually met with a "Wow" from the audience because it seems like the reporter is in the middle of the snowstorm. The reporter is usually standing in driving snow trying to deliver the same bulletin, which is frustrating because they could have done it more clearly in front of a map indoors. TV reporters who chatter for the sake of chattering are usually ignored by the audience. The weather is supposed to get ~8'' (20 cm) of snow, although the temperature might be up to 20°F (-6.6°
Yes, the country is a bit disrupted it seems. I got a daughter out there, stuck at friends place. Maybe I have to defy the elements later.

I shot this maybe ten minutes ago

2chakvr.jpg

Pebbles being very happy with the little cat shelter I made.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wonderful, work just called me, and they're supposed to be opening at noon today.

The plows haven't touched my side street yet, and I drive a little Chevy Cobalt. I might have to tell my boss to go pound sand, I'm not risking an accident to get to work on a day where zero people will be out looking to buy a mattress. (I'm a mattress salesman)

It is very cold here today thanks to the Arctic high that has blanketed our state, but apart from some fringe clouds, the storm that battered the mid-Atlantic states has had no effect on us.

Some effect, perhaps, because my sister might have a hard time getting to NC for Christmas with her eldest son, but that's minor. She can call them from the comfort of her little log house with a glass of wine and some snacks at hand, and not from an airport.

Moonbear said:
Students were supposed to be out of dorms this weekend, but the university made provisions for them to stay if they couldn't travel today. Though, I can only imagine the parties if there are a bunch of students snowed in with no classes or exams and no place to go.
Oh, boy! If some of them had booze stocked up, they might need an extra day to get over the "snow day".

The storm has passed here. Now my wife and I are in the process of rearranging the few flakes that happened to touch the sidewalk. Unfortunately, they are covered by 2 feet of other flakes. We're taking a break now and warming up with hot chocolate. An insane driver got stuck just a hundred feet from my house. We spent 10 minutes digging a path to the street so we could get to the car and then did what we could to free it. However, it is still there. I'll try again in the spring. If you are snowed in, stuck at home with your significant other and have nothing to do but sit by the fire and drink hot chocolate, then I feel your pain. Great isn't it?

We only got about 1-2 cm.

lisab said:
and to emphasize to the audience how hard the snow is falling, what do they always say...

"It's really coming down out here!"

Down is a good thing.

You have to love the snows where you only have to clean one side of your vehicle. Not the top and not both sides - just one side that has 2-3" projecting out sideways.

Driving home from the little Air Force base on the prairie is fun on days like that. You have to drive slow enough that you follow the tracks in front of you since you can't see where the sides of the road are. You always have the feeling that one day you'll drive over the side of a dry creek bed and join a pile of cars that have been playing lemming.

Astronuc said:
Lucky! I would have been happy with that, but am thrilled with the 0 cm that we got. There is already too much snow for my liking, and it's not winter yet (OK, tomorrow :tongue:). The trail-groomers and the snowmobiles have been cruising up and down my property since mid-week, making a firm base for the winter.

I really hope we don't have another 10'+ winter like the last two. I'm getting really sick of shoveling.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:

We got about the same here in central south England on Friday, and most of it melted later. Further east, they got quite a bit more, which caused a lot of travel disruption.

The Eurostar passenger trains under the English channel have had to be suspended (see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8422978.stm" [Broken]) not because of snow but because the weather is too cold for the electronics; the change of conditions from freezing cold to warm and damp going into the tunnel apparently causes condensation in the electronics, and caused five consecutive trains to break down, including one sent to pick up the passengers from previous broken down trains!

Last edited by a moderator:
jimmysnyder said:
The storm has passed here. Now my wife and I are in the process of rearranging the few flakes that happened to touch the sidewalk. Unfortunately, they are covered by 2 feet of other flakes. We're taking a break now and warming up with hot chocolate. An insane driver got stuck just a hundred feet from my house. We spent 10 minutes digging a path to the street so we could get to the car and then did what we could to free it. However, it is still there. I'll try again in the spring. If you are snowed in, stuck at home with your significant other and have nothing to do but sit by the fire and drink hot chocolate, then I feel your pain. Great isn't it?

You 'sleigh' me, jimmy.

Ended up with about a foot in New Haven. Looks to be all done now.

Yup, it's still looking like a good old nice fall day around here. I wonder if we'll get snow by christmas?

The news forecasts always make me laugh.

"Frozen water is coming out of the very sky itself! Traffic has been slowed, schools have been closed, children have been hit with snowballs! Oh the humanity! When will life make sense again?"

Road administration surprised by winter

What I hate about news coverage (at least here) is that whenever it starts to snow and roads are blocked they always blame it on the public services responsible for snow removal (no idea what are correct terms in English). Not that those people are always prepared, but blaming them every time is a national sport. Is it the same in other parts of the world?

That happens VERY rarely here, Borek. Plowing contracts for local roads are awarded by local municipalities, and local people are held to task if the roads aren't cleared.

Borek said:
What I hate about news coverage (at least here) is that whenever it starts to snow and roads are blocked they always blame it on the public services responsible for snow removal (no idea what are correct terms in English). Not that those people are always prepared, but blaming them every time is a national sport. Is it the same in other parts of the world?

No, I've never heard that in America. If the news does mention the snow removal services, they are very sympathetic.

Dang
I live up here in the 'Great White North' and my grass is green.
hehehe
Just in Toronto. The rest of the province is white like it's supposed to be.

Cheers :)

Borek said:
Not that those people are always prepared, but blaming them every time is a national sport. Is it the same in other parts of the world?
A few years ago the newly privatised British Railways was brought to a halt by snow at christmas.
The spokesman famously said that they were prepared but this was the "wrong sort of snow"

mgb_phys said:
A few years ago the newly privatised British Railways was brought to a halt by snow at christmas.
The spokesman famously said that they were prepared but this was the "wrong sort of snow"

I remember similar problems with trains in the Autumn (fall) caused by "the wrong sort of leaves on the line".

Galteeth said:
No, I've never heard that in America. If the news does mention the snow removal services, they are very sympathetic.
Heh - it isn't always that way. In PA our snow removal service has gotten a lot better in the past few years after budget cuts and a disaster about 10 years ago. They're actually quite good right now, so the criticisms are pretty minor but that doesn't mean people still don't complain.

When I lived in Sweden I was very irritated one morning when the snowploughs had dumped a huge pile all along the edges of the roads which was not practical to climb over, so that I had to walk nearly half a mile off my route to get to a side road where I could cross, then walk back on the other side.

turbo-1 said:
Plowing contracts for local roads are awarded by local municipalities, and local people are held to task if the roads aren't cleared.

Back in the early 1980s (I think), a blizzard shut down Chicago for a few days, and the poor snow-plowing performance became a factor in the mayor failing to get re-elected the next year.

<h2>1. What causes snow to fall in a certain direction?</h2><p>Snow falls in a certain direction due to wind patterns and air currents. When snow forms in the atmosphere, it is carried by the wind until it reaches the ground. The direction of the wind determines the direction in which the snow will fall.</p><h2>2. Can snow fall in multiple directions at once?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible for snow to fall in multiple directions at once. This can occur when there are different wind patterns at different altitudes, causing the snow to fall in different directions as it descends.</p><h2>3. Does the temperature affect the direction of falling snow?</h2><p>Yes, the temperature can affect the direction of falling snow. Cold air is denser than warm air, so it tends to sink and push the snow down in a more direct path. However, other factors such as wind patterns can also play a role in the direction of falling snow.</p><h2>4. Why does snow sometimes fall straight down and other times at an angle?</h2><p>The direction of falling snow can vary due to changes in wind speed and direction. Stronger winds can cause the snow to fall at an angle, while calmer winds may result in straighter falling snow.</p><h2>5. Can the direction of falling snow be predicted?</h2><p>Yes, the direction of falling snow can be predicted to some extent. Meteorologists use weather models and data to forecast wind patterns and predict the general direction of falling snow. However, changes in weather conditions can also affect the direction of falling snow, making it difficult to predict with complete accuracy.</p>

1. What causes snow to fall in a certain direction?

Snow falls in a certain direction due to wind patterns and air currents. When snow forms in the atmosphere, it is carried by the wind until it reaches the ground. The direction of the wind determines the direction in which the snow will fall.

2. Can snow fall in multiple directions at once?

Yes, it is possible for snow to fall in multiple directions at once. This can occur when there are different wind patterns at different altitudes, causing the snow to fall in different directions as it descends.

3. Does the temperature affect the direction of falling snow?

Yes, the temperature can affect the direction of falling snow. Cold air is denser than warm air, so it tends to sink and push the snow down in a more direct path. However, other factors such as wind patterns can also play a role in the direction of falling snow.

4. Why does snow sometimes fall straight down and other times at an angle?

The direction of falling snow can vary due to changes in wind speed and direction. Stronger winds can cause the snow to fall at an angle, while calmer winds may result in straighter falling snow.

5. Can the direction of falling snow be predicted?

Yes, the direction of falling snow can be predicted to some extent. Meteorologists use weather models and data to forecast wind patterns and predict the general direction of falling snow. However, changes in weather conditions can also affect the direction of falling snow, making it difficult to predict with complete accuracy.

Back