Solving the Gompertz Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation is about finding the solution to the Gompertz differential equation with different values for the constants a and b. The solution involves using the phase portrait concept and separation of variables to obtain the equation P = e(Ae-bt - a)/-b.
lockedup

Homework Statement

The problem in the book:

a) Suppose a = b = 1 in the Gompertz differential equation. Since the DE is autonomous, use the phase portrait concept of Section 2.1 to sketch representative solution curves corresponding to the cases P0 > e and 0 < P0 < e.

b) Suppose a = 1, b = -1 in the Gompertz DE. Use a new phase portrait to sketch representative solution curves corresponding to the cases P0 > e-1 and 0 < P0 < e-1

c) Find an explicit solution of the Gompertz DE subject to P(0) = P0

Homework Equations

dP/dt = P(a-blnP)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used separation of variables to get:
dP/(P(a-blnP)) = dt

I let u = a - blnP and du = -bdP/P which leaves me with:
-b[tex]\int[/tex]du/u = [tex]\int[/tex]dt

I integrate to get:
-b ln (u) = t + C

ln (u-b) = t + C

eln (u-b) = et + C

u-b = Aet

(a - b ln P)-b = Aet

So how do I solve for P? :P Or, am I even close to having the right answer? LOL

Physics news on Phys.org
P = eAe-t/b?

Last edited:
Or how about:

P = e(Ae-bt - a)/-b

1. What is the Gompertz Differential Equation?

The Gompertz Differential Equation is a mathematical model used to describe the growth of biological systems over time. It is typically used to model the growth of tumors, bacteria, and cells.

2. How is the Gompertz Differential Equation solved?

The Gompertz Differential Equation can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, Laplace transforms, or numerical methods. The exact method used depends on the specific parameters and initial conditions of the system being modeled.

3. What are the applications of the Gompertz Differential Equation?

The Gompertz Differential Equation has a wide range of applications in biology, economics, and other fields. It is often used to model population growth, tumor growth, and the spread of infectious diseases. It can also be used to analyze data and make predictions about future trends.

4. How accurate is the Gompertz Differential Equation?

The accuracy of the Gompertz Differential Equation depends on the specific system being modeled and the quality of the data used to create the model. It is important to consider the limitations and assumptions of the model when using it to make predictions.

5. Are there any alternative models to the Gompertz Differential Equation?

Yes, there are alternative models that can be used to describe biological growth, such as the logistic equation and the Richards' equation. Each model has its own strengths and limitations, so it is important to carefully consider which model is most appropriate for a given situation.