Solving Goniometric Equation: sen(2x) * sen(x)=sen(4x)*sen(3x)

• Thread starter scientifico
  • Start date
In summary, after applying product to sum and sum to product identities, the equation becomes cos(3x) = cos(7x). To solve it, we can use the formula for cosA - cosB to get cos(7x) - cos(3x) = 0. This can then be changed to the product of two sines using the sum to product identities. The equation then becomes 2sin(5x)sin(2x) = 0, which is easier to solve than an equation with a sum/difference that equals zero.
scientifico

Homework Statement

sen(2x) * sen(x) = sen(4x) * sen(3x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I applied product to sum and sum to product identities and now I get cos(3x)=cos(7x ) how can I solve it?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
hi scientifico! :smile:
scientifico said:
I applied product to sum and sum to product identities and now I get cos(3x)=cos(7x)

yup! :smile:

so 3x = ±7x + … ? :wink:

(alternatively, use the formula for cosA - cosB)

tiny-tim said:
so 3x = ±7x + … ? :wink:
What is this?

draw the graph of cosθ …

what has to be the relation between θ1 and θ2 if cosθ1 = cosθ2 ? :wink:

θ1 = θ2 ?

yes, but what are all the other solutions?

(and have you drawn a graph of cosθ ?)

Yes but i don't know what to search for

If cos(3x) = cos(7x), then you have cos(7x) - cos(3x) = 0 .

Use the sum to product identities to change this to the product of two sines .

[itex]\displaystyle \cos \theta - \cos \varphi = -2\sin\left( {\theta + \varphi \over 2}\right) \sin\left({\theta - \varphi \over 2}\right)[/itex]

It's almost always easier to solve an equation with product that equals zero than one with a sum/difference that equals zero.

ok but that way I get cos(5x)

no, you get 2sin(5x)sin(2x) = 0 :confused:

1. How do you solve a goniometric equation?

To solve a goniometric equation, you need to use the properties and identities of trigonometric functions, such as the sum and difference formulas, double angle formulas, and half angle formulas. You also need to manipulate the equation using algebraic techniques to isolate the variable.

2. What are the steps to solve the goniometric equation sen(2x) * sen(x)=sen(4x)*sen(3x)?

The steps to solve this specific goniometric equation are:

1. Expand the left side of the equation using the double angle formula for sine: sen(2x) = 2sen(x)cos(x).
  2. Expand the right side of the equation using the sum formula for sine: sen(4x)*sen(3x) = (sen(4x + 3x) - sen(4x - 3x)) / 2 = (sen(7x) - sen(x)) / 2.
  3. Substitute the expanded expressions into the original equation, resulting in 2sen(x)cos(x)*sen(x) = (sen(7x) - sen(x)) / 2.
  4. Use the double angle formula for cosine to simplify the left side: 2sen(x)cos(x)*sen(x) = 2sen(x)*(1 - sen^2(x)).
  5. Combine like terms and move all terms to one side of the equation, resulting in sen^3(x) + 2sen^2(x) - sen(7x) + 2sen(x) = 0.
  6. Factor the left side of the equation: (sen(x) + 2)(sen^2(x) - sen(7x) + 1) = 0.
  7. Set each factor equal to 0 and solve for x, resulting in the solutions x = 0, x = pi/2, and x = (2k + 1)pi/6, where k is an integer.

3. Are there any special angles or identities that can help solve this goniometric equation?

Yes, the double angle formula for sine, sum and difference formulas for sine, and double angle formula for cosine are all useful in solving this equation. Additionally, the solutions involve the special angles of 0, pi/2, and pi/6, which can be used to simplify the equation.

4. Can this goniometric equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, this equation can have multiple solutions, as shown in the steps above. The solutions will depend on the values of k, which can result in an infinite number of solutions.

5. How do you check if a solution to this goniometric equation is correct?

You can check if a solution is correct by substituting it back into the original equation and simplifying both sides. If the resulting expressions are equal, then the solution is correct. You can also use a calculator or graphing software to plot the equations and see if they intersect at the given solution.